• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

First mill $400 in south west ON

Found this on Kijiji last night. Immediately messaged him but haven't got a reply. I imagine I'm too late already. In any case the location is a long haul for me. Maybe if @Susquatch was willing to help? ;)

Firstmill.png

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Right of you to jump on this. I have a First 9X49 and it is a solid very built machine. Despite the dirt, Which always makes me suspect issues, it is well worth the 400$ The head alone is worth that.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good find Canadium I saw that one this morning too you might have a shot at it because he called it a lathe when I looked at it there was only the first picture so must have figured out how to put the rest in, worth $400 all day long.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Looks like number 1 will be knocked of the project list, good on you. Are there any goodies with it?
Edit - should grab the welding table if you need one and have room for it.

Last edited:
Looks like number 1 will be knocked of the project list, good on you. Are there any goodies with it?
Edit - should grab the welding table if you need one and have room for it.
Doesn't look like much comes with the mill. The welding table is too big for my place unfortunately.

Everett

Super User
Nice catch on that mill, at that price even if it's got a few quirks it's totally worth getting and working them out!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Found this on Kijiji last night. Immediately messaged him but haven't got a reply. I imagine I'm too late already. In any case the location is a long haul for me. Maybe if @Susquatch was willing to help? ;)

View attachment 18396

Notifications on my phone suck! I didn't see this till just now!

Yes, I can help. Harrow is only an hour from me. I could go get it and put it in my barn till we can arrange the second leg. Alternatively, we can go together if you drive down here. I'm sure we can figure something out.

Happy to help in whatever way I can. I have a big flatbed (tractor sized), a big truck to pull it, a tractor with forks to move it around, and an overhead crane in the barn if necessary.

What are your needs?

Notifications on my phone suck! I didn't see this till just now!

Yes, I can help. Harrow is only an hour from me. I could go get it and put it in my barn till we can arrange the second leg. Alternatively, we can go together if you drive down here. I'm sure we can figure something out.

Happy to help in whatever way I can. I have a big flatbed (tractor sized), a big truck to pull it, a tractor with forks to move it around, and an overhead crane in the barn if necessary.

What are your needs?
In this particular case it now looks like a moot point as apparently the miil is being taken by someone else. However I have seen lots of appealing deals in the Windsor area before so I may just come knocking again some time. I was thinking that if I could store a machine temporarily at your place or even have your more experienced input on how to tie the load down that would be a great assist.

It is a very long trek for me from Hamilton to Windsor and I'm not really keen on doing it especially when Covid still lurks and the days are short and my eyesight is no longer good for night time driving. However if one wants the machine obviously one has to be prepared to go where the machine is.

Thank you very much for the offer of assistance!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In this particular case it now looks like a moot point as apparently the miil is being taken by someone else. However I have seen lots of appealing deals in the Windsor area before so I may just come knocking again some time. I was thinking that if I could store a machine temporarily at your place or even have your more experienced input on how to tie the load down that would be a great assist.

It is a very long trek for me from Hamilton to Windsor and I'm not really keen on doing it especially when Covid still lurks and the days are short and my eyesight is no longer good for night time driving. However if one wants the machine obviously one has to be prepared to go where the machine is.

Thank you very much for the offer of assistance!

Yes, Windsor was once the tool and die capital of the world so it makes sense that there are lots around there.

As a matter of fact, I went with my daughter to look at a house she is interested in buying. The seller has a big pole barn beside the house. I saw a First Mill in there covered in dust. I didn't ask about it because the house deal is WAY more important and I didn't want to mess that up. But once the house is sold, I could ask if he is interested in selling the mill.

He also has a nice bandsaw, some welders, and a rack of metal.

TBD I guess.

I'm not sure I can tie anything down any better than anyone else. But my son is a trucker and I'm sure he could help give advice. Perhaps @Chicken lights could give us both some tie-down advice.

All I did was to lower the table to lower the center of gravity, screw some 2x4s down to my trailer bed around the base to stop anything from sliding, and put four crossed corner straps down around the base (Left front on mill goes to right front on trailer, etc) and four more straps up high.

I didn't flip the head cuz I didn't know about that at the time. I would do that next time to lower the CG too.

Anyways, just let me know if and when I can help. A stop over here makes sense all the way around.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Yes, Windsor was once the tool and die capital of the world so it makes sense that there are lots around there.

As a matter of fact, I went with my daughter to look at a house she is interested in buying. The seller has a big pole barn beside the house. I saw a First Mill in there covered in dust. I didn't ask about it because the house deal is WAY more important and I didn't want to mess that up. But once the house is sold, I could ask if he is interested in selling the mill.

He also has a nice bandsaw, some welders, and a rack of metal.

TBD I guess.

I'm not sure I can tie anything down any better than anyone else. But my son is a trucker and I'm sure he could help give advice. Perhaps @Chicken lights could give us both some tie-down advice.

All I did was to lower the table to lower the center of gravity, screw some 2x4s down to my trailer bed around the base to stop anything from sliding, and put four crossed corner straps down around the base (Left front on mill goes to right front on trailer, etc) and four more straps up high.

I didn't flip the head cuz I didn't know about that at the time. I would do that next time to lower the CG too.

Anyways, just let me know if and when I can help. A stop over here makes sense all the way around.
Depending on the machine, some you can only chain through the base. Lots of machines are a no-no for straps over the top. I have a custom broom stick tool for shoving chains through, but a chunk of steel conduit or pipe works too.

I’m guessing you’ll be fine, the machines you’re talking about aren’t very heavy, just awkward. I hate moving chip conveyors, the motor is always the heaviest part and it’s the highest part usually, they’re on wheels and just a PITA all around. Surprisingly they seem to stay put

Edit- I prefer chains for machines because there’s no stretch and no chance of the strap failing. (well, very little stretch, G70 is designed with some give to it, G100 is not)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a custom broom stick tool for shoving chains through, but a chunk of steel conduit or pipe works too.

Not following you. What are you shoving chains through that you need a pipe or a broom stick?

I prefer chains for machines because there’s no stretch and no chance of the strap failing. (well, very little stretch, G70 is designed with some give to it, G100 is not)

I do too, but I didn't have enough chains of the right size at the time so I used big heavy straps for moving my mills instead.