• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Face Mill Adapter

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have a 100mm ( 3.9") diameter face mill but the holder for it is R8. I need CAT40. After going back and forth with China it was going to be over $100 including shipping so I decided I'd make an adapter to work with my 1" Cat 40 tool holder. Here is the CAD and some build photos. I started with 3" hot roll.

1618158056039.png

tempImageKViGPb.png

tempImagesIH6H1.png
I managed to hit 0.998" diameter for the top end. I needed just less than 1.000". The adapter fits into the cat40 1" tool holder well. This is the second go at the adapter as I made the first one too small.

tempImagep59soB.png
After milling dog slots, drilling holes, and flats for the set screws.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
In this shot the cat 40 1" holder is on the top. The adapter is the little part in the middle. The face mill on the bottom. you can see my first attempt in the background on the right.

Some of these pictures are rotated wrong - the forum just seems to hate iphone pictures.

tempImage8hf4Xg.png

tempImagexbNa7D.png
In use facing off an aluminium pallet.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Exploded view.

tempImagePI5iOU.png & recycled election sign.

tempImagevg8F0D.png
testing face mill fit.

tempImageND4uHL.png
Threading 5/8 NC. Note anybody doing this for the first time - turn the lathe chuck by hand DO NOT use power. You can see the bit of bar I'm using as a cranking handle into the lathe jaw adjustment holes.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In this shot the cat 40 1" holder is on the top. The adapter is the little part in the middle. The face mill on the bottom. you can see my first attempt in the background on the right.

Some of these pictures are rotated wrong - the forum just seems to hate iphone pictures.

View attachment 14136

View attachment 14135
In use facing off an aluminium pallet.
I think that shot of you holding it all in your hand is worthy of a frame. It's a thing of beauty and art. Nice work man.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nicely done. Are you worried about the long stick out away from the actual CAT40 taper cone?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe someday you will find a nice face mill arbour at an auction. Then you can go back and use the full power capability of your mill.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
silver when turning slow, straw when a little faster 700rpm, 1200 rpm it went blue black.
Here's some chips...
1618194092835.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I saw an easier way to do the keys - instead of milling a slot and placing a square stock there like we did you can just drill / tap holes and put cap screws in - the heads of cap screws work as a blocker.

These chips and the pictures of raw stuff suggest this is not a hot rolled or soft steel - it looks and feels like 4140 or similar alloy.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Testing photo rotation. seems to be fixed now.

Attachments

• E0BC0513-B877-4142-8B1D-3C45F1C86FF6.jpeg
    E0BC0513-B877-4142-8B1D-3C45F1C86FF6.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 9
  • 377441D2-28A8-465A-8D80-63D50A6638CC.jpeg
    377441D2-28A8-465A-8D80-63D50A6638CC.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 9

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice work! What are you doing with the r8 holder? My mill is r8, and i have a similar facemill but no holder for it. I was going to make one, but haven't yet.