• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

ER40 D1-4 Collet Chuck Question

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I've been looking the usual places for an ER40 D1-4 collet chuck and this one caught my eye;
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/234016145577?hash=item367c7300a9:g:7VIAAOSwliJgpYt7
Anyone have any experience with this adjustable style chuck? I like that it's adjustable and from Precision Matthews I would hope it's decent quality.
I know it's pricey but with the other offshore stuff being hit or miss on the quality I'd rather spend a little more and get a good one right from the start.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Interesting idea. I made my own ER40 non adjustable. I never seen "adjustable" chuck of this style. Not sure whatever this is a feature or simply a way to go around not exactly precise machining.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I never seen "adjustable" chuck
I hadn't seen on either.
I'm looking at it the same as the adjustable 3J chucks. Every machine is different and this allows the collet chuck to be dialed in as close to perfect as you can get.

Everett

Super User
I've seen this adjustable one as well as the HHIP non adjustable ones, but decided not to buy one at this point. I would like to make one for myself as it sounds like an interesting challenge and the fun budget seems to be needed for other equipment first. My hope is that if the chuck is made on the lathe it is to service then it should be repeatable if reinstalled with the same phasing to the spindle nose.

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
Just an FYI: I made up an ER 30 with a d1-3 back plate and everything went well - I believe accusize - except the three bolts that hold the two parts together were not quite at 60* apart - two were perfect and the other was off about 2 degrees. I had to enlarge the counter sink hole and the through hole a bit - not a huge deal and it did not affect alignment - but just letting you all know that there may be some flaws in the imported stuff....seriously.....I know right?! hahaha

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I posted that same PM link on Dusty's collet/lathe question. It looks like a smart design because of its adjustability, like a set-tru. PM is very reputable. Doubt they make them but he doesn't sell iffy stuff.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Well I bite the bullet and bought the Precision Matthews ER40 D1-4 chuck. I haven't spun anything yet but it dialed in with less than a needles worth of movement on the DTI and seems very well made. I bought a 15 piece collet set as well that also seem to be well made.
P1010823.JPG
P1010824.JPG
The only thing I don't like is the wrench, it is made to fit 55mm to 62mm so it doesn't fit the ER40 nut well. Will it work? yes, is it pretty? no. I expected an ER40 chuck to an ER40 sized wrench. I didn't realize that the 55-62 stamped on the wrench was the sizes of nut the wrench was supposed to fit, I thought it was just a part
number. I sent an email to PM about this and just got a generic blah blah response.
P1010825.JPG
Damn, looks like I'm going to have to find some wood and rivets and make a new wrench that will actually fit the nut. And as the lathe doesn't have a spindle lock I think I'll make a wrench for the chuck as well.
Something else I didn't realize was that the thread was metric, I was going to make a square and a hex block but that will have to wait until I find the metric gears for threading.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Damn, looks like I'm going to have to find some wood and rivets and make a new wrench that will actually fit the nut.

Before you go out and kill off some innocent tree, consider taking the wrench to a grinder and relieve the back portion. You could also go one step further and clamp it to a rotary table and mill out the correct arc = the wrench would fit perfectly and no trees would be harmed in the process.

Although I have seen your superb woodcrafting skills - so maybe a polished steel center with wood scales and a few brass rivets would look nice too.

Just giving you ideas…

Nice buy on the chuck, btw.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Before you go out and kill off some innocent tree
No new trees will be harmed in the making of these handles,,lol. I have wood left over from previous projects.
I thought about just milling the one that came with but I hate having to modify something new that should fit, just include the wrench that fits. I'll probably use the RT when I make them.
I've seen the hinged type and the full round but where's the challenge in buying one.:)
Thanks folks.

Proxule

Ultra Member
I've seen this adjustable one as well as the HHIP non adjustable ones, but decided not to buy one at this point. I would like to make one for myself as it sounds like an interesting challenge and the fun budget seems to be needed for other equipment first. My hope is that if the chuck is made on the lathe it is to service then it should be repeatable if reinstalled with the same phasing to the spindle nose.

Count me in, Great project lol

John Conroy

Premium Member
Well I bite the bullet and bought the Precision Matthews ER40 D1-4 chuck. I haven't spun anything yet but it dialed in with less than a needles worth of movement on the DTI and seems very well made. I bought a 15 piece collet set as well that also seem to be well made.
View attachment 16327
View attachment 16328
The only thing I don't like is the wrench, it is made to fit 55mm to 62mm so it doesn't fit the ER40 nut well. Will it work? yes, is it pretty? no. I expected an ER40 chuck to an ER40 sized wrench. I didn't realize that the 55-62 stamped on the wrench was the sizes of nut the wrench was supposed to fit, I thought it was just a part
number. I sent an email to PM about this and just got a generic blah blah response.
View attachment 16329
Damn, looks like I'm going to have to find some wood and rivets and make a new wrench that will actually fit the nut. And as the lathe doesn't have a spindle lock I think I'll make a wrench for the chuck as well.
Something else I didn't realize was that the thread was metric, I was going to make a square and a hex block but that will have to wait until I find the metric gears for threading.

It will be interesting to get your opinion on that chuck Mike, I have asked PM to put one in the crate with my new mill but if it's crap I'll cancel it. You get to be the product test guru on the one. LOL

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Test guru,,,,,,, your a funny guy.
I haven't actually turned anything yet but the bore dialed in beautifully. I've only been at this hobby for a few years but the chuck seems very well made and is a tight fit on the spindle. I need to gently use a light tap with the plastic hammer to get it loose

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
John - I don't know if you care about the wrench but you could ask Matt for a 62mm wrench vice the multi fit version.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I finally got the wrench done. I used some 3/16 fb that was kicking around, rough shaped with a cut off wheel on the little grinder and then to the bench grinder for a bit more fine tuning. Used the belt sander for some close enough until the handles are on shaping. The inside arc was done on the milling machine with the rotary table and filed the tooth to shape. Then it was on to the handles, a bit of left over cherry from another project, some epoxy and rivets to secure them to the wrench. Back to the belt sander to bring the wood to the same shape as the steel, router over the edges (of the wood), sand smooth and add four coats of teak oil. Done! Much nicer fit than the wrench that came with the chuck.
I'll try tightening with a strap wrench on the chuck and see if it comes tight enough, if not I'll make the same style wrench for the chuck.

Attachments

• P1010828.JPG
    P1010828.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010832.JPG
    P1010832.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010834.JPG
    P1010834.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010835.JPG
    P1010835.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 9

Proxule

Ultra Member
I finally got the wrench done. I used some 3/16 fb that was kicking around, rough shaped with a cut off wheel on the little grinder and then to the bench grinder for a bit more fine tuning. Used the belt sander for some close enough until the handles are on shaping. The inside arc was done on the milling machine with the rotary table and filed the tooth to shape. Then it was on to the handles, a bit of left over cherry from another project, some epoxy and rivets to secure them to the wrench. Back to the belt sander to bring the wood to the same shape as the steel, router over the edges (of the wood), sand smooth and add four coats of teak oil. Done! Much nicer fit than the wrench that came with the chuck.
I'll try tightening with a strap wrench on the chuck and see if it comes tight enough, if not I'll make the same style wrench for the chuck.

Very sexy work !
Hats off to you