• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

ER32 hex block

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Where can I get a good ER32 block in hex format?

Accusize maybe?

Anybody got a link to a good one? ie the distance from the center axis to the edge of each hex side is exactly the same. AND (picky John) each hex side should be exactly parallel to the one on the otherside. AND the angle from one hex side to the next is exactly the same. or within a thou or so. yes?

Does anybody have a commercial one? - is it good and meets the above requirements? Got a link?

There are lots on ali, ebay, amazon, comments seem to indicate many of them are pretty poor, or the guy thinks it's great, gives it 5 stars, but he hasn't tried it yet. :rolleyes:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Shars has one where they actually talk about the accuracy of the block...I'm not sure the accuracy makes sense for the hex shape - more like the square one.

• Made from tool steel hardened to 40-45 HRc
  • Block body is preicision ground to 0.0007" flatness, 0.0015" squareness, and 0.001" parallelism

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I guess making your own isn't likely worth the time but that can be sort of fun and rewarding.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Over on HM this one was suggested. 12 sided so works as a square and hex.

Here I've drawn a hex and a 12 sided polygon to compare. It is a bit weird to have 12 sides - I'm not sure what the extra sides would be used for.

1681956597253.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Over on HM this one was suggested. 12 sided so works as a square and hex.

Here I've drawn a hex and a 12 sided polygon to compare. It is a bit weird to have 12 sides - I'm not sure what the extra sides would be used for.

View attachment 33780
So you can do three sides too?

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
@johnnielsen @Dabbler @John Conroy you guys seem to source good stuff - where do I get one?
I can't recommend any seller's product. If it were me, I would buy an ER__ mounted on a short straight spindle and grab a piece of my large 12L14 hex bar and drill/bore a matching hole in it with a locking set screw or loctite. Perhaps machine an appropriate step so the ER spindle goes in far enough that only the nut protrudes. If you want to do it this way, I'll bring you a chunk of the hex bar.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought some from ArcEuroTrade that were excellent.

Have you tried them yet?
Sorry, devil made me say that. I just couldn't resist after seeing @Janger 's comment about guys posting ratings before they even tried them!

FCA2C157-F60E-4354-9856-4445AF364CD2.gif

Couldn't resist using that GIFF again either.

What the F is wrong with me lately?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Have you tried them yet?
Sorry, devil made me say that. I just couldn't resist after seeing @Janger 's comment about guys posting ratings before they even tried them!

View attachment 33784

Couldn't resist using that GIFF again either.

What the F is wrong with me lately?
Yes, combined with a ball bearing nut I had no complaints.
@PaulL bought them from me.