• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Enco 8.6 lathe - mill combo

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that is the same machine that Kozo Hiraoka built the vast majority of his locomotives from. He is kind of a legend in the live steam community. Very complex models, wrote several books, tireless enthusiast etc. I remember reading some interview with him with a few pics back in the 70's. His entire shop was very compact. What we would call an average 'closet' square footage wise and home was in a tall apartment building. https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Hiraoka.htm

Anyways... Apparently the Emcomats were pretty decent & accurate hobby machines. Although they must have still had to contend with the round column mill pillar. I've seen some people who have restored them to their former glory. Wonder what year that one is & who was using it for what.

Attachments

• SNAG-2-13-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-2-13-2019 0000.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0