• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DRO order - potential group buy

kylemp

I am going to order a few more DRO's for my machines, I believe I posted the aliexpress link before but here it is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...32761513829.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.zC1Eh5
The scales that come by default have a resolution of 0.005mm (approx 2 tenths, 0.0002 inches) and can be configured as 10um ,5um ,2um ,1um , 0.5um for additional cost (I believe its 20usd/scale).
As I am already going to be ordering some of these I figured this might be an opportunity to try and get the price down if other people are wanting to order some as well.
I've been totally happy with my dro, although I have only got 2 of the 3 scales installed so far.
The default resolution is PLENTY for most people I think, its just frustrating trying to get it to get to a dead number and even with a machine as heavy and rigid as mine the scales still move a little while cutting.
If anyone wants in, let me know. Prepayment is required once I get a final tally I will find out if I can get a deal, prior to order.
I would like to order by next Monday at the latest, post here if you want one or more.
My set was 252.18 US all in with DHL shipping when I bought it, not sure what that came to in CAD but if I can get reasonably below that I think anyone should be happy with the system for the price, considering what a high grade DRO costs (Newall, Mitutoyo, etc.)
If you've got any questions I can answer from mine let me know as well.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's a neat looking unit. I'm shocked by how inexpensive these have become over the years. I noticed on their store front they also sell Sino & Easson. Not exactly sure what the names mean, but I do know that's what's being packaged on some lathes & mills direct form vendors. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1021179?spm=2114.10010108.100005.1.yTuZk5

Did you install the one you are referencing? Damn, they are so cheap I'm thinking of installing one on my bench grinder ha-ha.

kylemp

Yes I do have one of them. Like I said, I'm happy with it which is why I'm planning to order more of them.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
oh, duh - says it right there, sorry. Next you're going to tell me you posted yer installation pics & I missed it haha

Jimbojones

Is there any notable deal on shipping these to USA vs Canada? I'm asking because I have a US drop point in Montana and am heading there in the next month so I could pick them up if notably cheaper to do so. We'd still have to pay duty & GST but no brokerage and other extra x-border fees like UPS and FEDEX gouge on. Plus...I may want a set for my 14x40 lathe as well...

Dennis P

Thanks for posting and offering the bulk order to the rest of us. Have an 48 gm truck I am spending all my money and time on lately otherwise id definetly be adding one to the order. PM me if ya dont mind if you end up ordering again please or throw another post on here...
Dennis

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Do these DRO measure feed rate? The description is pretty terse but it didn't say that. And the fancier features - circumference drilling etc. Are they useful or just trouble to program? I'm interested though. Is there a manual available?

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Kylemp, count me in, please.

I would like the 3 axis DRO for my mill. I need the following scale lenghts:
a) 42 in (1067mm)
b) 24 in (610mm)
c) 32 in (813mm)
These are the lenghts of my ways. I believe that corresponds to their "TOTAL LENGHT" measurement? I don't want the scales to "overhang" my table, saddle or the knee. Maybe more nominal size like 1000mm, 600mm, and 800mm might be better?

Sorry, newbie question, as my SM1340 came with a DRO. This is the first time ordering a DRO....

Cheers, Rudy

Last edited:

kylemp

Do these DRO measure feed rate? The description is pretty terse but it didn't say that. And the fancier features - circumference drilling etc. Are they useful or just trouble to program? I'm interested though. Is there a manual available?
Yes it does bolt hole patterns, even along an ellipse. Its got I think 250 coordinate storage spots, and bunch of other stuff I don't even know what it does. I've never heard of a dro that gives you feed rate.. but I'm not very experienced with them honestly. I just want to know where I am and be able to change that and do bolt circles.
The manual is in your typical chinglish, I haven't found a digital copy but I've got my printed one.. you can borrow it if you want but as I said I'd like to order by Monday.
Hi Kylemp, count me in, please.

I would like the 3 axis DRO for my mill. I need the following scale lenghts:
a) 42 in (1067mm)
b) 24 in (610mm)
c) 32 in (813mm)
These are the lenghts of my ways. I believe that corresponds to their "TOTAL LENGHT" measurement? I don't want the scales to "overhang" my table, saddle or the knee. Maybe more nominal size like 1000mm, 600mm, and 800mm might be better?

Sorry, newbie question, as my SM1340 came with a DRO. This is the first time ordering a DRO....

Cheers, Rudy

Scales are measure in travels not the total length, s o if your table is 40 inches but only travets 20 you don't need the full 40... maybe 22 or so. Do you want to double check your machine travels, and then let me know? Just make sure to give you a little extra travel, you don't want to end up short.

kylemp

Is there any notable deal on shipping these to USA vs Canada? I'm asking because I have a US drop point in Montana and am heading there in the next month so I could pick them up if notably cheaper to do so. We'd still have to pay duty & GST but no brokerage and other extra x-border fees like UPS and FEDEX gouge on. Plus...I may want a set for my 14x40 lathe as well...
I don't believe there would be an advantage in shipping them to the US.
Do you want one or are you not sure?

kylemp

Is that a yes on one?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Rudy, my experience on both lathe & mill is its not necessarily straightforward matched to nominal way lengths or travel. It can vary based on your particular machine, available space & best surface to physically mount encoder & head assembly/brackets. It might save effort if you can download DRO spec sheets & mock it up beforehand with cardboard cut-outs, scrap wood or whatever. Or maybe you can find examples of your mill model with DRO instaledl to get ideas & gauge lengths from that. This website has some installation examples & basic guidance. http://www.dropros.com/

Jimbojones

FWIW - I'd still offer to go pick them up regardless if I was buying one or not. I annually buy tooling from US and often get very cheap (free?) shipping whereas coming in to Canada costs $50-100 per package. Pick up a 1/2 doz packages and you've paid for the trip...

Haven't checked these out before and like Janger, have questions re: functions besides providing raw readout e.g. manual usability, programmability, end-of-travel and proximity-to-coordinate alerts, etc

I've guessing with the single LED readout per axis, the original DRO's listed would not display feed rate as you couldn't see both distance AND feedrate on a single line. My FAGOR does both (and more) but needs an LCD to provide the needed display space. It was mentioned earlier that there are other makes/models available so I would need some info/time to figure out what capabilities were available and find the right unit.

kylemp

FWIW - I'd still offer to go pick them up regardless if I was buying one or not. I annually buy tooling from US and often get very cheap (free?) shipping whereas coming in to Canada costs $50-100 per package. Pick up a 1/2 doz packages and you've paid for the trip...

Haven't checked these out before and like Janger, have questions re: functions besides providing raw readout e.g. manual usability, programmability, end-of-travel and proximity-to-coordinate alerts, etc

I've guessing with the single LED readout per axis, the original DRO's listed would not display feed rate as you couldn't see both distance AND feedrate on a single line. My FAGOR does both (and more) but needs an LCD to provide the needed display space. It was mentioned earlier that there are other makes/models available so I would need some info/time to figure out what capabilities were available and find the right unit.
There are lcd systems that are knock offs of the fagor dro systems, again for what I'm doing I don't consider it worth the cost. Keeping in context of cost vs what you get, these things are in my opinion a good deal. If you need those kind of functions you could go to fagor.. or.. you could shop around and buy a older VMC with much better functions that that.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Hey Jim, - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...32789719488.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.PKD3Zb

This model from the same seller seems to have more capability, LCD screen, feed rate I think, - more money too $670.

@kylemp Kyle - I would like one but cash is the problem right now. I'm going to have to pass. Thanks for organizing this for the forum.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll check into it in more detail tonight and get back to you...

John Conroy

Premium Member
Kyle, thanks for your offer and the links. Since I'm in Edmonton I think it would be quite a hassle for both of us to arrange payment and subsequent pick-up of the parts after they arrive. With that in mind I think that I will just order one on my own.

John

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kyle, I have checked my BR2J2 mill's travels. Here are the scales I need:

a) 800mm (for my longitudinal traverse of 675mm)
b) 400mm (for my cross traverse of 305mm)
c) 500mm (for my vertical traverse of 405mm)

These are the respective "Travel (measuring) lengths" as per their website; the "Total (overall) lenght" will be 138mm longer. The 0.005mm resolution is fine.

Cheers, Rudy

kylemp

Sorry I haven't posted back on here. I finally got a response on pricing, we would have to order 5 or more and it works out to a total savings of around 130usd on the package.. I'd be fine doing it but I don't think there are 3 other people wanting a set and it's not anice amazing deal.. if there are, post now. I do have to order one set this weekend so I plan to do that Sunday night.