• Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Drill chuck

So what is the correct way to measure a drill chuck taper?
I have an older PA drill press and can find nothing in the manual about what size taper it has.
I hate keyed chucks and would love to change to keyless but the measurements I have taken don't appear to match with anything.
Skinny end and fat end? Is it that simple?

Everett

Are you referring to the taper going into the quill socket (drill press side) or going into the back of the chuck (chuck side)? Reason I ask is that often the drill chucks go onto an arbor that has a Morse taper on the drill side and a Jacobs taper on the chuck side. Last chuck I bought for the lathe required that I get an arbor as well at the same time.

Bofobo

The arbour may be integral, with the chuck being the only removable piece, if so its likely a jacobs taper and some wedge blocks will make quick work of that. Mrpete222 has some videos on some of his tiny drill presses and changing the chucks

The chuck taper should be marked on the chuck some where.

What size press is it? Current 8" - 16" PA presses and press chucks state B16.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. This is for the female end of the chuck. YYCHobbyMachinist was right, it's marked J3 right on the chuck.
I had no idea these things were that expensive:(. I don't think I paid that much for the whole machine 15 years ago.
I can put up with my keyed chuck for a while yet.
I don't need that kind of precision for the putzing around I do.

Thanks for the input everyone. This is for the female end of the chuck. YYCHobbyMachinist was right, it's marked J3 right on the chuck.
I had no idea these things were that expensive:(. I don't think I paid that much for the whole machine 15 years ago.
I can put up with my keyed chuck for a while yet.
I don't need that kind of precision for the putzing around I do.
I got some really good deals on banggood.com. Most of it has been decent quality, some really good, some crap. The keyless drill chucks and arbors have been excellent

Dabbler

I recently got some keyless chucks at KBC - that can't hold a drill worth anything. I've used my Jacobs' keyed chucks for 40 years, and they still hold like new. Now I have tow boat anchors as well.

You really are better off.

I recently got some keyless chucks at KBC - that can't hold a drill worth anything. I've used my Jacobs' keyed chucks for 40 years, and they still hold like new. Now I have tow boat anchors as well.

You really are better off.
I pressed buy on one from Banggood yesterday so I guess I'll find out in a few weeks. The chuck on my drill press has always been glitchy but I wasn't too concerned about it. It has gotten real sticky lately and tends to bind when loosening the chuck.