• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Does anyone have an old, not working micrometer say...6" ?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey guys,

I am looking for an old style micrometer - like an old Starrett in the 4-6" range for the purpose of building a draft tap handle. The Micrometer would be welded or brazed to the required nut to fit the tap in such a way that the handle of the micrometer would be the pull. I would make up a nice machined aluminum block that the mic would be "measuring" and then have the block engraved with "Precision Ale" or something like that and then a little "Micro-meter Breweries" in the bottom corner.

I think that would a funny cool addition to the bar.....anyway....

It would be best not to trash a working mic so just putting it out there

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey guys,

I am looking for an old style micrometer - like an old Starrett in the 4-6" range for the purpose of building a draft tap handle. The Micrometer would be welded or brazed to the required nut to fit the tap in such a way that the handle of the micrometer would be the pull. I would make up a nice machined aluminum block that the mic would be "measuring" and then have the block engraved with "Precision Ale" or something like that and then a little "Micro-meter Breweries" in the bottom corner.

I think that would a funny cool addition to the bar.....anyway....

It would be best not to trash a working mic so just putting it out there

Cool idea. I don't have what you need, but I'll keep my eyes open. I assume you are in no hurry. You never know what micro waisted little darling might dance across my field of view. (groan)

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If it's of use i have the head of a mic that was cut off or broke off. Just the measuring head and the shaft that protrudes out. Brown and Sharp, got it years ago in a bunch of stuff i acquired.

BMW Rider

Super User
It's a machining forum and when I read "tap handle" I naturally was trying to envision what sort of weird thread tapping tool you had in mind.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I was chatting with a yard machinist and he had a few that "would not calibrate" in the tool bin and they had not been disposed of yet so he gave them to me. There was one Mitutoyo and 2 knock off Chinese models. I fixed the Mitutoyo :oops: so will see if it actually stays as a functional 75-100 mm mic. I fixed one of the other ones as well (3-4") but the anvils seem to be cupped so it will become a victim of the Bar. :D the third one is a 0-6" and a bit big so I will cut it in half and make it a 3-4" size, weld it together, and it will become a second handle for one of my buddies that also has a keg fridge. :p

I guess it may be true that the Mitutoyo is scrap as well as they are professionally set up and certified (alas)- but we will see - it was last checked in 2006. It seemed to dial in consistently after I took it all apart.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
They “fell overboard”.....:D

No, you mean to say Brent is missing some of his mates while floating around the Atlantic?

Brought back memories, some here might remember the 1955 movie where Mister Roberts played by Henry Fonda threw the Captain's prized miniature palm tree over the side.

1955 was a good year that's when I enlisted with the air force, how time flies.

Last edited: