• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Do I need a Machinist Clamping Set?

Tool

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I need to get some T-nuts so I can clamp my vice to the mill table (once it’s back together…)

So in the vein of “in for a penny in for a pound”…

What’s the opinion on getting a set like this?
E3D7328D-4143-4314-9896-7EFE726EF4FE.jpeg

Am I wasting my money? I suspect if it’s too big to put in a vice, this is the next step.
(If I’m honest with myself, I think what attracts me to this set is the blue plastic holder…)

I have acquired a few similar sets to that, and I use them probably as much as I do my vice. One day I plan to make some that are more appropriate for the size of mill table that I am usually using. I use them on the shaper from time to time as well.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Before you click buy, make sure the T-nuts fit your table slots. They come in different sizes so a Bridgeport imperial may not be suitable for a smaller Asian metric machine. And the catalogs can be frustratingly sparse on details if they use nominal dimensions or converted dimensions. Same goes for studs/nuts, they come in different thread configurations.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I need to get some T-nuts so I can clamp my vice to the mill table (once it’s back together…)

So in the vein of “in for a penny in for a pound”…

What’s the opinion on getting a set like this?
View attachment 27625

Am I wasting my money? I suspect if it’s too big to put in a vice, this is the next step.
(If I’m honest with myself, I think what attracts me to this set is the blue plastic holder…)
I've got a like new set for sale if you're interested. I don't have the details at hand right now but I can get them tommorow you wish.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I use the clamping sets constantly. There are so many situations where the vise won't work, or you don't want to adjust it.

But a tale of woe:
When I got my Excello mill eons ago, I knew nothing. I bought a mill clamping set from Busy Bee, and thinking the t-slots were all the same for the bigger mills. I bought a set for a Bridgeport. All fine and dandy for 30 years. Then I needed some more t-nuts, so I go into the KBC catalogue, and I see there are numerous other sizes. So I figure, let's go into the Ex-Cell-O owners manual. And it states that the t-slot size is 11/16". Well, the kit that I have is 5/8". So I say to myself, ok let's get the proper t-nuts, but with 1/2"-13 thread so I can still use the rest of my kit. So I receive them, and go to use them, and they only go in halfway down the slot! What gives? Well 30 years of bolting stuff down with the wrong T-nuts, they rounded of the underside of the slots. After hours of scraping, and stoning, and filing, and cursing, all the slots are good and the t-nuts fit perfectly.

Attachments

• 20221105_081024.jpg
    20221105_081024.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221105_081217.jpg
    20221105_081217.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221105_081320.jpg
    20221105_081320.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221105_081840.jpg
    20221105_081840.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221105_081356.jpg
    20221105_081356.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 24

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
The guys here nailed it on the step clamps and slot size.
You may find that a couple... or 4 of these rite height clamps come in handy-er on a mill without a vice.
Grind up a couple blocks that slide into the t-slot for a square edge to push work pieces up to.
They come in various sizes. The real Mcoy- James Norton- or knockoffs work for a little while...
Jus' throwing it out here in the event members haven't tried them.

Attachments

• rite height clamps.jpg
    rite height clamps.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 20

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
If you can't hold something, you can't machine something. Sometimes I'll go a while without using them. Other times I've got over half of them out, and am robbing parts from other sets. I'd put them ahead of 123 blocks in terms of machine shop mill necessities, but behind parallels. There theres vee blocks, angle blocks......How much money do you want us to spend for you? :D

It's also handy to make some of your own tee nuts to fit your mill with different sized tapped holes in them. For holding down parts through "tooling holes" directly to the table to mill outer profiles in one go. I've made a bunch at work, simply out of aluminum with holes ranging from 4-40 up to 3/8". If making them yourself, make the middle part taller so it just sits below the mill table, I find I like those much better for the smaller holes. IMO you can never have too many different ways to hold a part for machining.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The real Mcoy- James Norton- or knockoffs work for a little while...
Jus' throwing it out here in the event members haven't tried them.

Just be VERY careful not to over torque them. A piece of broken T-slot on your mill table will cause extreme profanity and self abuse cuz you gotta look at it every time you use your mill......

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You may find that a couple... or 4 of these rite height clamps come in handy-er on a mill without a vice.
I have some of those. Bought many moons ago when a peso was a peso. They are very rapid to set up & hold securely. Actually I use it most to secure my rotary table to mill table because the RT has very awkward clamping pockets in the casting base. Anyways my only beef with these clamps is the price. There really isn't much too them even if they are forged. I've been tempted to make some. A waterjet cutter could bang that profile out (or many size variations) in no time. But, its a numbers game. I don't need 20 of them. Still a bit more milling work & some parts to make, but that's why we have machines & tools right?

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-11-05 10.17.25 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-05 10.17.25 AM.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 13
  • SNAG-2022-11-05 10.17.49 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-05 10.17.49 AM.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 13

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
In Harold Halls intro to milling book ("Milling a complete course") he discusses making T-nuts without a vise or anything else. Sort of boot strapping yourself like the gingery books. He's English so some parts of the books discuss materials and such not available here. We use different names for steel types etc. His books are clear and I found them helpful.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But, its a numbers game. I don't need 20 of them. Still a bit more milling work & some parts to make, but that's why we have machines & tools right?

I hear you. I've been watching Bessy prices for several years now. WAAAYY too many pesos for what they are.

But if a certain Calgary member did decide to bang out 20 of them, I'd get in line for 4. And if he just so happened to make the longer version at the same time, I'd get in line for 8 (4 of each). Might be a few others jostling for a spot in line too. There will be a big gap in the line behind me for anyone brave enough to cut in front of the others and stand close to me.......