• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

die holders

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nothing special, but I got frustrated with yet another crappy offshore cast die holder. The dies don't fit the bore well, the screws are in an orientation that doesn't match any of my dies, the handle is a bit long to clear my lathe bed if I just want to just twist it.. So I made these from scrap on hand. The ID is a nice slip fit on the die OD's, the retention set screws are 90-deg offset either side of center point to match my die detents. I made the handles short & removable so I could use one, or both & just knock then down into a small box. The back face is flat & handle set screws are recessed so I can mate it the tailstock spindle end when starting the thread. I would have done things a bit different geometry wise, but its nice & solid & feels like a tool.

Attachments

• IMG_0775_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0775_edited-1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0774_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0774_edited-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0773_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0773_edited-1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0772_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0772_edited-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0771_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0771_edited-1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 14

JohnW

(John)
Nice. I like the idea of the handles held in by set screws on flats. It seems that the screw-in handles on all my dies holders are always unscrewing while I use them.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I thought about threading the handle into the die head, but figured cranking on it would concentrate stress on the outboard groove & maybe bend there. So basically the handle (5/16" drill rod) is full diameter in the torque direction & a nice snug fit into reamed hole. The set screw just keeps it positioned. I probably could have given the die head even more meat for the rod by reducing the stock clearance hole on the backside.

An improvement would be make the body longer yet so the backside stock relief hole matched some nominal diameter to slide on a matching guide pin held in the tailstock chuck - just enough to get the first couple threads started. My square it up to the spindle works ok, but you kind of need a 3rd hand. A guided pin would be better, then both hands are free to just turn & thread.

EricB

Nice work! I have to look at buying or making some tap & die handles soon, I may have to pay you the sincerest form of flattery! [emoji14]

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk