• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Die Grinders?

Morning,
In the market for a 90* die grinder.
I'm looking at 2 Neiko brand off Amazon. The regular and mini version. I want to try out these Roloc discs I read about on here.
If Neiko brand isn't a good purchase, which would you suggest. It will see a medium amount of use. Not production level usage, at least not in the near future.
Thanks,
Ken.

I may have found a really good alternative.
The PROXXON Longneck Angle Grinder LHW/E, 38544. - https://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38544.php
110v. No heavy air use. And there's an easy way to convert these to Roloc Discs. -

Unless someone knows something bad about the Proxxon grinder. I'm going to try this.
Thought someone else might find this useful.
Ken

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The right angle air die grinders are piercing loud. I have a PA one and my spouse texts me what are you doing when I’m running it. I have another one a “quiet” one. Which is quieter - still need ear muffs on. The best option is an electric one - the proxxon is intriguing. I have a Milwaukee m12 and it’s simply fantastic. The john’s (JN and Dabbler) got me going with that.

Chip Maker

Super User
My .02, I prefer air. Granted I have a decent compressor, but always used air in my trade. Yes they're loud, but so was my shop environment. I wore ear protection my whole life (still do) and still ended up with tinnitus! Sometimes the airline can get in the way as there's pros and cons to anything. I can burn out four air tools for the cost of that Milwaukee or Proxxon. Keep them oiled and no water in the line and they will serve you well.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Kieth Appleton at Main steam Models swears by the proxon grinder if your interested in small to medium size engines it is worth checking him out He’s one I subscribe to.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
A good question is what do you want to do? Finish? Deburr? Or grind? Different requirements.

I have 3 side grinders, 2 small and a real big one. I recently bought a flap disc to try after reading how much people like them on here.
I'll use it mostly for removing rust and smoothing things before welding, then cleaning up and polishing welds after (on small pieces of course).Finishing work on machined pieces too. I have to look, but maybe the Proxxon can use a small wire wheel as well. Being a lot lighter and maneuverable, I think it will serve me well.
Hope so,
Since I've already ordered one and the Roloc discs...
Ken