• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Did I do ok?

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
All of this just followed me home for $500 as a lot...

There's one Mitutoyo dial indicator, one Mitutoyo depth micrometer set (though it doesn't turn freely), and one Mitutoyo digimatic 6" though I don't have a battery for it so not sure it's working. The rest of the indicators there's a couple USA made ones of some sort (don't know the make) and there's a couple broken chinese ones so they're worthless. The three piece caliper set in the box is chinese but is in good shape.

The insert tool holders are almost all 1" shank, which I probably will end up selling off since they won't fit my lathe...but there's lots of good inserts and a pile of HSS.

The drill indexes only one has some bits in it, the others are empty (I knew this). There's a few center drills and other misc bits and bobs as well.

So what says everyone?

Attachments

• PXL_20220108_183036801.jpg
    PXL_20220108_183036801.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20220108_183039618.jpg
    PXL_20220108_183039618.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20220108_183044081.jpg
    PXL_20220108_183044081.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 50
I evaluate purchases like this as follows, did a few(one to all) of the items fill a void I needed (or wanted) at a lower price than was paid its a win, if not well.....

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Score! Even if you scrap 1/3 of it, you’ve done well. You have mega-$$$ in inserts, fire up the mill and cut down the shanks of the holders.

Aliva

Super User
You could always mill the tool bits down to fit your lathe. Then you've got to buy the inserts, that's the pricey part.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice score!

@SomeGuy, I’ll buy all the 1” tooling from you if you decide to sell them. Send me a PM with the details and price. Thanks.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
So the Mitutoyo depth micrometer was easy to free up, is in good working order now. Found a Noga deburring tool, a Starrett outside spring caliper, a Starrett 178A radius gauge (plus a bunch of other little radius/pitch gauges but not of any particular brand), so a few other nice pieces in the lot.

"Home" is within an hour of the GTA.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
... fire up the mill and cut down the shanks of the holders.

I've had limited but mixed results. The offshore stuff, which I believe to be alloy # 414tunacan... cut like Buttah.
But it was some kind of name brand old school N-Am or Euro shank, boy that was some tough sh*t & put up a fight. Tried a few different end mills it was tough sledding, small DOC & very slow feed. I thought maybe I just had to get through some outer hardening. Think I even broke a carbide. I am now of the 'Buy the right size' club LOL.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I spent some time this afternoon sorting stuff out into some parts bins I had already...

Also short of a couple of the dial indicators (the Mitutoyo and one of the chinese ones), most aren't in good shape...sticky or bezels falling off or cracked glass or missing tips or whathaveyou.

Attachments

• PXL_20220108_222659946.jpg
    PXL_20220108_222659946.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220108_222704492.jpg
    PXL_20220108_222704492.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220108_231533381.jpg
    PXL_20220108_231533381.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220108_222632831.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220108_222632831.MP.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220108_222637726.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220108_222637726.MP.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 18

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I don't yet have a mill, just a lathe...so cutting them don't isn't in the cards just yet, though I'd like to add a mill sometime this year and cutting them down could be interesting.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
So doing some research here...the two right gauges with yellow faces are from "Standard Gage Company" and are made in the USA. Apparently Standard Gage was bought by Browne and Sharpe at some point and the old USA made ones like these are actually quite good.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just counted it all and its about $700 worth of stuff or so. I counted dial indicators at $10 each, which is standard price for "rough shape". Overall a good buy, noting too spectacular but a good buy. If you part it out carefully it may increase in value to 1000 (when selling individually) if lucky you can more or less keep your stuff and sell the rest working it out to cost of zero.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't yet have a mill, just a lathe...so cutting them don't isn't in the cards just yet, though I'd like to add a mill sometime this year and cutting them down could be interesting.
I have cut some tool holders down on the metal lathe. Long time ago, but was surprised how well it worked. I suspect it would be as @PeterT said though, depends on the material. I cut my threading tool down a couple days ago to get it into the new lathe QCTP.

This is how I held it

The three jaw works well too but probably more sketchy. I am sure others here have better advice. I just ordered insert tools yesterday to have the option of using inserts. Up till how, it has been mostly cemented carbide but been working on my sharpening skills so it is getting better.

Wish I would have seen this earlier! Looks like you have several extra inserts too. Nice score, me thinks! ;)