• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Deckel KF-2 3 D Pantograph for$900

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here are some numbers comparing the two Deckel pantographs:

GK12 (smaller)
1/2 hp motor
1600 to 20000 Max spindle rpm in 12 steps
2-D capable only
1/4” Max spindle collet
420 kg

KF2 (larger)
2 hp motor
power knee
20000 Max spindle rpm, infinitely variable from 500 to 20000
fully 3-D capable
3/4” max spindle collet or MT #2 with adapter
1400 kg

They can both be used for metal and any other material. There are a few knife makers that have a KF2 (or similar) to make their knife scales.

With the advent of CNC, the 3-D pantographs basically became obsolete. HOWEVER, if you already have a pattern (say a cracked/worn out piece like a lead screw half nut, missing chuck jaw, etc) you can copy it 1:1, make it smaller or larger without any programming! Great for one off duplicates. You could 3-D print a pattern in plastic, make a wood model, then use the KF2 to cut it out from steel.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can't you just visualize a quarter scale Merlin crankcase slowly emerging from a block of aluminum? LOL

Attachments

• SNAG-1-15-2021 0001.jpg
    SNAG-1-15-2021 0001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 4

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, I can. Added to my ever longer list of things to do. At the rate I am going, I’ll be 150 by the time I get through all the projects...

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes,, it is very cool machine.

What’s more, it is built like a tank. It was made in 1967. Then it was used for about 15+ years in a production setting here in Calgary. And yet all the movements, ways and spindle are still very smooth.

I am now the third owner since new; I have paperwork of it’s life history.

(As an aside: the little brother GK12 pantograph was also made in 1967. I am only the second owner of it - have some paperwork to show that, but not nearly as detailed as the documentation of KF2).

I probably will still do a tear down, clean, inspect and rebuild, just to be 100% sure all the lubrication passages and moving parts are free from any dried up gunk, etc.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm always curious, what kind of industry/product was using a machine like that in our area? What did they make?