• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DC Motor

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Years ago my wife and I were visiting in Southern Ontario. The folks we were visiting took us to a large discount/surplus store. There was a bin full of surplus DC motors for $19.99. How could I pass that up so one flew home with me. I found a DC motor controller on eBay that looked like it might work. When the controller arrived it didn't seem to match the specs or configuration of the documentation that came with it and I couldn't find any info on the motor so the whole thing went on the shelf for about a decade. Last week I dug it out and got serious about figuring it all out. Now I have a 1/4HP variable speed DC motor looking for a project. I thinking tool post grinder or maybe a small drill press. motor1.jpg motor2.jpg

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Die filers can be fun, I probably don't use it enough for the space it takes, but when I do use it, I remember why I have kept it.
I'd never even heard of a die filer before I saw a recent Blondihacks vid where she's machining & assembling one from a kit.

I'd never even heard of a die filer before I saw a recent Blondihacks vid where she's machining & assembling one from a kit.
You are going to need to expand the wallet a little...... You are about to find all kinds of things you can no longer live without....
Welcome to the support group for "Old Iron Disease"...... We are kind of an "enabling" little group of friends here, come on in, the water is warm....o_O

Kelly McLaughlin

Somewhere on this site I'm sure I saw a form for the help group VMA Vintage machine anonymous, remember the first step in recovery is owning up to your problem : )

fixerup

Super User
I pick up this Keller model 1A die filler for $50 . No motor and no files, but everything else was there including a good layer of rust. Spent about 15hrs to take it apart, made a new delrin bushing for the reciprocating shaft and lots of wire brushing trying to remove the rust . I have had it 2 years and only used it once to make the tabs on a large safety washer. The type of washer you bend the tabs to secure an hex nut from coming loose. It doesn't remove material to fast.
I would use your motor for something else. Drill press would be nice project if the speed and torque is there. Tool post grinder, not sure the bearing are up to par for that task and the rpm would be to slow.
Other ideas,
power feed for the mill table
maybe a slow bench top grinder
cooling fan for hot summer days
motorcycle starting stand
beer malt mixer
motorized bicycle

Attachments

• 20201025_162353_resized.jpg
    20201025_162353_resized.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 8

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I would love to get a die filer. @fixerup if you are in Calgary by chance and looking to clear up some shop space, I'm sure something could be arranged ;)

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Every time I read a post like this you guys make me feel better about myself :D

I have a similar sized motor too, and have earmarked it for powering my little Levin lathe whenever I get back to cleaning it up. Mine came from a kids electric gocart I swapped to 2 stroke power.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
90v , looks like maybe off of a treadmill? I have one like it and am contemplating what to do with it as well.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
90v , looks like maybe off of a treadmill? I have one like it and am contemplating what to do with it as well.
Very similar but not from a treadmill. I suspect maybe it was intended to be paired with a gear reduction drive. The output shaft is only 3/8 inch, it's short and has a slot cut in the end like it was intended to engage with something other than a pully and it's only about 1/4 HP.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
My treadmill motor is 95v dc. I am wondering if one could use the variable speed control off the treadmill.It might be bigger than a person needs, but should work,I think.