• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Darren's active projects

Hacker

Super User
Talked to Gary from Kilred Winding today.....they were successful in the repair of the stator and it passed the tests. I'll be picking it up tomorrow and hopefully reassembling the motor/generator this weekend, maybe even testing it. Super pumped!
That is great news!! Do you know what they did to the stator to repair it?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That is great news!! Do you know what they did to the stator to repair it?
I haven't been to town to pick it up yet due to bad weather. Possibly later today. From what they told me before, they were going to clean it, bake it to get any moisture out, then they put it in some sort of pressure cooker to force the insulating paint deep into the windings. They also put new leads on. Originally this was a 9 lead motor. The reason I had to pull the stator was to access the other 3 internal leads, the star point, that were tied together internally.. Cutting those apart and bringing them out to the terminal box makes it a 12 lead motor. It turns out that for my purposes only 3 leads are really necessary and the other connections can be made internally. So they reconfigured the internal connections to suit my needs and brought 3 leads out. The downside to that is that it can't be configured for 440v again, but thats not a concern for me..
e4e2e3a10c3020828b60067a1ee76696_zpsbd6a94a7.jpg

As you can see, only 3 leads really need to come out.

the above image has an error in the relay numbering if anyone is going to use it, 1 and 2 are reversed.

Last edited:

Hacker

Super User
I haven't been to town to pick it up yet due to bad weather. Possibly later today. From what they told me before, they were going to clean it, bake it to get any moisture out, then they put it in some sort of pressure cooker to force the insulating paint deep into the windings. They also put new leads on. Originally this was a 9 lead motor. The reason I had to pull the stator was to access the other 3 internal leads, the star point, that were tied together internally.. Cutting those apart and bringing them out to the terminal box makes it a 12 lead motor. It turns out that for my purposes only 3 leads are really necessary and the other connections can be made internally. So they reconfigured the internal connections to suit my needs and brought 3 leads out. The downside to that is that it can't be configured for 440v again, but thats not a concern for me..
e4e2e3a10c3020828b60067a1ee76696_zpsbd6a94a7.jpg

As you can see, only 3 leads really need to come out.

the above image has an error in the relay numbering if anyone is going to use it, 1 and 2 are reversed.
I don't think that loosing the ability to connect to 440 will ever be an issue unless it is going back into a commercial setting. Looking forward to seeing this all put back together and running.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
…the above image has an error…
That’s great you were able to get your motor repaired.

Neat to see the image of how your motor will be physically wired.
(A bit off topic. For the Electrical Engineering work I did (consulting), there was no hands on work. So though I knew in theory how to do things, but I didn’t know in practise. Wiring the cottage was a great way to at least get some practical experience which was very helpful. In my current job (a combination of Transportation and Electrical engineering), it’s amazing how useful the experience of building model planes and working on the cottage has been).

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wiring the cottage was a great way to at least get some practical experience which was very helpful. In my current job (a combination of Transportation and Electrical engineering), it’s amazing how useful the experience of building model planes and working on the cottage has been).

I think the learning from doing anything ....is underrated. Even bad (failed, unsuccessful, hospital, divorce...;-) outcomes teach us something.

insert smiley icon here....

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
The newer the hi-vis and shinier the white hat, the greater the distance.....
Amen brother, amen

To this day I hate buying new work boots/gear/clothes, you stick out like a sore thumb even if you a veteran. The white hard hats never clue into this and wear ridiculous outfits that we all laugh at

even if they do make more money than us :mad:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am a nerd so I spend waaaaay too much time analyzing projects. But, sometimes, I just want to get a job done, So theory/best practice goes out the window.. Most of my projects are a compromise.....research enough to do a job I will be happy with, and hope the project goes according to plan. The mill power feed project is a good example. I have been weeks on it. Waaaay too much time for such a simple project, but, even today, as I am wrapping it up, I realized I learned a ton, and did a job I think I am happy with. If I just wanted a power feed and no lesson, then, yea, bang head on wall cause it could have been done a long time ago.

I think I have had a shift in priorities/work ethic since retiring. Before retiring, it was get as much done as possible, as quickly as possible, and don't start projects that take "too long". Now, the attitude is, if you start a project, finish it, correctly.

Not so sure my wife is happy with my new attitude as I am lost in shop time,....:)

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
....might need a ducks for cover emoji...:eek:
OMG, I didn’t realize that was a duck for cover emoji, I always thought it was a ghost and I couldn’t work out why a ghost emoji was needed…

Any tradesperson will work circles around the white hard hat guys
Yes, I’m an engineer, a jack of all trades and a master of none, and my hard hat is covered in high visibility tape that makes me look like a psychodelic hippie. I do acknowledge that I know in theory what to do but not in practice. However in defence of engineers, I have had occasions where trades have said “this is the way I’ve done it for 20 years” and they’ve been doing it wrong for 20 years… So we do need each other, however begrudgingly:eek:

(I’m not a total psychedelic nut job, only partial. My hard hat is covered in high visibility tape because I sometimes need to look at street lighting on the side of the road and I’d rather look ridiculous than not be seen…)(Maybe I should really get day and night hard hats…)

(Oops, sorry @Darren for derailing your thread)

OMG, I didn’t realize that was a duck for cover emoji, I always thought it was a ghost and I couldn’t work out why a ghost emoji was needed…

Yes, I’m an engineer, a jack of all trades and a master of none, and my hard hat is covered in high visibility tape that makes me look like a psychodelic hippie. I do acknowledge that I know in theory what to do but not in practice. However in defence of engineers, I have had occasions where trades have said “this is the way I’ve done it for 20 years” and they’ve been doing it wrong for 20 years… So we do need each other, however begrudgingly:eek:

(I’m not a total psychedelic nut job, only partial. My hard hat is covered in high visibility tape because I sometimes need to look at street lighting on the side of the road and I’d rather look ridiculous than not be seen…)(Maybe I should really get day and night hard hats…)
I think it is actually an Oh my God emoji, I just used as a desperate need of something else. :p:rolleyes:
Now that Shawn has his emotions back, we need to find someone else to pick on.....:D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think it is actually an Oh my God emoji, I just used as a desperate need of something else. :p:rolleyes:
Now that Shawn has his emotions back, we need to find someone else to pick on.....:D

Crazy. I always thought it was OH MY GOD IM GUNNA DIE!!!

Or SCARED TO DEATH

Or AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Not planning to change my usage.....