• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Crazy quote from Metal Supermarkets

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I submitted a quote on the weekend for 24 inches of hot-rolled 1045 in a 4.5" diameter. Quote came back today @ 650.00 plus tax (682.50)

AFTER I submitted that, I saw that the order-online part of their site had the process for that exact product and the quote there was about 220.00 CAD.

I emailed them to see why the difference and was told that the online price is an average of all stores, and stores reserve the right to decline or pass, and if I wanted to try it online, I MIGHT get it for 220 CAD.

The online site said this weighed 120 LBS. At the low price this is 1.80 a pound, at the high end 5.41.

Probably one of the worst run businesses I can think of.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Not to stir up the usual debate, but was the 220 price good/bad? I registered and after checkout this came down to 196 (-5% first purchase, -10% over $100).

Brian Ross

Hot rolled steel is going for about $0.75 to $1.50 per pound at Federal Metals depending on size and shape (but they don't have 4.5 inch). By the way I just noticed that Federal is now listing some aluminum flat bar, angle and tubing for sale.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Kevin - that included the shipping at $200ish? Sounds not horrible to me. 1045 is somewhat unusual so I'm not surprised it is more. and yes Metal Stupid Market is what it is. I asked them last year for a quote on a pile of Stainless C Channel. They didn't have and couldn't order what I wanted and what they did quote was a lot of money per pound. At least you don't have to order a 10' log with them - I guess that is their niche.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hot rolled steel is going for about $0.75 to $1.50 per pound at Federal Metals depending on size and shape (but they don't have 4.5 inch). By the way I just noticed that Federal is now listing some aluminum flat bar, angle and tubing for sale.

Thanks for pointing that out Brian. Did they finally open their building? Have you been by recently or is the aluminium also just under the tent?

Brian Ross

I was there about a month ago and didn't notice the aluminum but it is on there website. They do have a new "building" for their stock.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
@Janger John, I was looking at 1045 based on info found on the various sites . I'm looking to make a plug to pull cylinder liners from an engine . I don't have much experience with metal selection and would usually start with 1018 and go from there

Any suggestions for this application? Hot or cold rolled ?

The plug would be drilled through amd a piece of threaded rod used to apply pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downwindtracker2

I don't know the machinists would suggest, but I would look at 12 L 14 , a leaded, easy machining steel , just increase the depth of the lip. 1045 has enough carbon in it to almost make springs (1060)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think I have some spare 4140 or 4330 in that size and I can sell it to you for $2 per kg. It is much stronger steel than straight low carbon or med carbon steel.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@Janger John, I was looking at 1045 based on info found on the various sites . I'm looking to make a plug to pull cylinder liners from an engine . I don't have much experience with metal selection and would usually start with 1018 and go from there

Any suggestions for this application? Hot or cold rolled ?

The plug would be drilled through amd a piece of threaded rod used to apply pressure

Not sure what you mean exactly Kevin. Post a sketch?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm no engine rebuilder, but was going to ask if the bottom liner skirt lends itself to a puck at the bottom. It has a step so smaller diameter fits ID of liner, OD fits wall thickness + block bore clearance. Looks like there are such devices. This would save you a lot of material, but maybe I don't quite understand the situation

Attachments

• SNAG-12-18-2018 0000.jpg
    SNAG-12-18-2018 0000.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-12-18-2018 0001.jpg
    SNAG-12-18-2018 0001.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Exactly the tool. Sure I can buy one......... but I can spend 5 times that and make one and learn a new trick or two

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
That tool allows for the oil pan to be dropped and the puck to be place in behind the crank from the bottom and the sleeve pulled out the top

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
OK, if that's the tool principle, that's why I was 'wondering about the 24" log. The pulling puck might only be an inch thick or so.
Or maybe 1 for you & 23 for Ebay!? LOL

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
If only I was that entrepreneurial [emoji3]. I figure I'll go through several iterations, botch a few....make a winner then put a chunk away for the next time

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Stop going to metal super markets! I know sourcing materials is hard i know buying a 10 foot length of large material isn't realistic but they are only known for one thing. High prices. In this case i know you had no other choice because 4.5 is big stuff.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I was able to avoid it this time -- Tom kitta and I were able to work out something