• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cost of 1" OD x 0.065" wall stainless steel?

jaylowe

Brand New Member
Hi,

What is the cost per foot for 1" OD x 0.065" wall, SS304, 300 grit+ tubing? Price seems all over the price. Metal supermarket wants $20+/feet vs Metalpros at $3/feet. I know different shop has different price but 10x seems excessive? Am I missing something here? I'm looking for a place to buy this in GTA.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
MSM is known to be expensive. You are paying for niche market. With that kind of price discrepancy it might be worth buying from your alternate supplier. 3$ sounds suspiciously low but if thats what it is then great. Just be aware of other things that might kick in with big metal distributors. a) the material might come to only 20$ but they might have a minimum order amount, say $50 b) assumes an account which may o may not be a big deal c) no provisions or expensive surcharge to cut material in order to load in your vehicle if its a 12 footer or whatever.

Aircraft Spruce Canada has some & usually their prices are more reasonable, but looks like not in this case. Keep them in mind for other projects as its in-Canada shipping.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/mepages/stainlesstubing.php
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/categories/building_materials/bm/menus/me/index.html

jaylowe

Brand New Member
Thanks.

The metalpro guy is in Ottawa so I don't know how much shipping it will be. I'd rather if I can buy locally in GTA.

Also, what is the surface difference between seamless and welded pipe? I'm using the pipe to build machine like this:

MPCNC-small.jpg

There is going to be wheel bearing rolling on the pipe. Will the welded SS pipe has a rough weld seam or it will be smooth like a tube?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Fancy! The weld seam is in the inside. You can see where it is on the outside but it is smooth. The welded pipe is cheaper.

What do you want to make? Cnc Router?