• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Cordless Circular Saw

Tool

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
It's been a while but I posted up a new video about the Dewalt 60v DCS578 cordless circular saw:

I've used some of the older cordless circular saws in the past, both the 18v Dewalt and actually a fairly new Milwaukee one as well. Both still felt "cordless" to me, in that they did the job but felt a bit wimpier and slower.

This one however, completely negates the need for a corded saw. I was doing some work at an off grid cabin (which is why I bought this saw in the first place) and had to build a new set of stairs out of pressure treated 2x10's...so did quite a bit of cutting, stringers and treads and such with it. Not once did it feel like I wasn't using a corded saw.

So although the 20v tools I have still often feels cordless and not as good as the corded stuff in terms of power. Most of the 60v ones are pretty much direct replacements or even better in some cases. It's shocking just how far things have come in the last 10 years, as I'm actually considering selling some of my older corded stuff (the mastercraft versions at least, not the dewalt ones quite yet).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have dewalt 20V, Makita 18V, and Milwaukee 12V. I like the milwaukee 12 cuz they are so compact and handy. But the 20V Dewalt kicks butt! I can only imagine what Dewalt 60V would be like!!!!

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I have dewalt 20V, Makita 18V, and Milwaukee 12V. I like the milwaukee 12 cuz they are so compact and handy. But the 20V Dewalt kicks butt! I can only imagine what Dewalt 60V would be like!!!!
Just imagine the best corded circular saw you've used and it'll be a smidge better. I honestly like how this one works over my corded Dewalt.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Other then the price, tool alone is a whopping $300 and tool with charger and single battery is well over $400 (!) I assume tool with two batteries and charger is around $500...

For that price it better be good - I can get gently used corded Dewalt Saw for around $10.

It peak power is massive but battery would not even last 15min on peak power.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Other then the price, tool alone is a whopping $300 and tool with charger and single battery is well over $400 (!) I assume tool with two batteries and charger is around $500...

For that price it better be good - I can get gently used corded Dewalt Saw for around $10.

It peak power is massive but battery would not even last 15min on peak power.

I paid $369 + tax for the kit with saw/9ah batt/charger/bag shipped to my door. No, not cheap, but not insane...their corded saws are usually around $150 new.

You can get a lot of cutting done in 15 minutes of blade on time....like easily 100 cross cuts. Single battery should last a reasonable day of guy in his backyard framing, two batteries could probably do it for a full day as a pro framer building houses.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been a yellow brand guy for many years..... but their circular saws seem to not be... ...up to my standard. I still own an yellow expensive corded one, but seldom use it. (it seems to be the precursor to the corded one you own). About 12 years ago I bought a top-end corded 'red' one, and it cuts very smooth, with almost no blade vibration and far less blow out of the cut. It has become my go-to saw.

I noticed in your video it seems to cut very smoothly. I noticed you hand 'fishtailing' during your cuts, which is what I find with all yellow ones, but not in my red one. - go figure!

Thanks for a great unboxing - one day we could get together and compare the one I love to your new one!

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I've been a yellow brand guy for many years..... but their circular saws seem to not be... ...up to my standard. I still own an yellow expensive corded one, but seldom use it. (it seems to be the precursor to the corded one you own). About 12 years ago I bought a top-end corded 'red' one, and it cuts very smooth, with almost no blade vibration and far less blow out of the cut. It has become my go-to saw.

I noticed in your video it seems to cut very smoothly. I noticed you hand 'fishtailing' during your cuts, which is what I find with all yellow ones, but not in my red one. - go figure!

Thanks for a great unboxing - one day we could get together and compare the one I love to your new one!

The fishtailing is mostly a result of having a camera between me and the saw trying to film, so reaching further than normal. I've stuck with Dewalt simply because that's what I own a lot of and hence have batteries/accessories that work together but I'm not a fan boy that would say red or blue or any other colour of top tier tool sucks, they all make really great stuff!

Would be happy to compare if you're nearby...I've met a couple members off here who have come by my garage for various things and seems like we've got a good group on here.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I pooped on cordless tools for years, largely due to power issues and—just as important—proprietary battery issues. The never ending saga of one manufacturer being 2 volts different than the previous generation drove me nuts. But I have changed my tune considerably. The tech has come a long way and the advent of inventors and even generators built into trucks like the F150 is a game changer; all you need is your cordless tools and your truck these days.

I own a corded DeWalt (I suspect the same as @Dabbler), as well as a smaller 18V Cordless Milwaukee 6 1/2" saw. I find for 90% of what I do these days, I don't need the full 7 1/4". The convenience of not having a cord is priceless. It does feel a tad underpowered compared to the corded Dewalt, but it looks like the 60V model you test drove solves the issues.

Thanks for your review.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Liked the video. All my cordless tools are the cheaper Ryobi. Good for what i do around the farm with them, if i used them every day on the job to make a living with i would go Milwaukee.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Liked the video. All my cordless tools are the cheaper Ryobi. Good for what i do around the farm with them, if i used them every day on the job to make a living with i would go Milwaukee.

Honestly, all of the name brand cordless tools (Ryobi included) are leaps and bounds better than they used to be. Most will do the job and the small differences between them in performance aren't worth the huff and puff you get from people that say Milwaukeee wipes the floor with Dewalt and visa versa.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I find that the 'best' tool is often surpassed by a competitor a little while later - much like the escalation in computer performance, just a little slower... This leap-frogging is happening all the time.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I find that the 'best' tool is often surpassed by a competitor a little while later - much like the escalation in computer performance, just a little slower... This leap-frogging is happening all the time.
Yup, like Milwaukee had the best impacts for the longest time but this year Dewalt's new ones are on top. I'd be surprised though if Milwaukee doesn't have a new one out next year that replaces Dewalt as the top dog once again.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I worked in the Intellectual Property group for government for a while. One of our lawyers had worked with Chinese companies for years securing patents, fighting trademark violations, etc. I got to be good friends with him. I really enjoyed the fascinating and volatile discussions on our team (mostly lawyers and engineers) over the harm done by these companies improving on technology through IP theft. Equally fascinating is the belief that IP theft provides a valuable and essential component of innovation, however unfair it is to patent holders. I could talk for hours on this stuff, and enjoy arguing both sides of the debate. The risk management analysis performed by big companies as they "liberate" and improve upon a tech advance of their competitor is like watching politicians contort themselves into a knot when caught doing the very things they legislate against. Bottom line is all companies innovate through means that are arguably theft. It's still innovation. Whether or not it is prosecutable is another matter. As we used to say, "the first caveman carving out the wheel at some time observed a rock rolling down a hill."

I think the first lawyer set up shop the next day.