• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cold Cut Saw Lessons

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I recently swapped out my older Makita 14" Abrasive cut saw for a Makita Cold Cut Saw Model LM-1230. I wasn't really intending on doing this right now. I kept thinking if my abrasive saws ever fails, I'll replace with a cold cut. That was years ago...but the abrasive just kept going. Turns out it was really well built and designed, and to be honest I love the smell and the sparks that come off it. That's bad in a shop my size I know. Even though I've removed almost everything flammable I can, sparks still shoot toward some shelves that have cardboard boxes on them (need to fix that).

Anyways, I waited a few weeks until I had used the new one a bit to post some things I've learned.

At first I was worried that the 12" capacity on the saw might limit me compared to the 14" abrasive. That turned out to be a non-issue. Largely I suspect this is because when I first bought the saw I only owned a small horizontal bandsaw. Since then I've upgraded to a larger model, which I use to cut a lot of large tubing. So what I used to use the abrasive saw for I no longer need. However, because the bandsaw is so much larger, I'm more reluctant to pull it out for smaller cuts—hence the cold cut saw.

The next thing I learned is that while there are next to no sparks, they can be noisier. Seems counterintuitive (and maybe it is blade dependent), but sometimes mid way through a cut it screeches horribly for a moment. Not a huge problem, but until you get used to it, you can get thrown off. I know some people recommend a paste lube on the blade, but I haven't tried that yet.

The cuts are very clean on the new saw, although not as square as I expected. However, they are weld-ready immediately—whereas the abrasive always needs some minor cleanup on the sander. In the fabrication world this is a good compromise. Any weld gap from a cold cut is easily bridged through the welding process, and the time saved on each cut on sanding makes it worthwhile. I think this is the main attraction of cold cut saws for those of us who were never bothered by the sparks, dust or noise of abrasives.

Something else to get used to is the shavings. Abrasives make dust. Cold cuts make miniature knife blades that can be weaponized. They throw (relatively cool) little metal shavings that go everywhere. You'll track them into your house. You definitely do not want to let your dog(s) in the shop when using this type of saw. With an abrasive I'd just let the dust fall and sweep it up later. But these shavings need to get picked up immediately or they will find themselves in your boots, carpet, pant cuffs, etc. There is a small collection drawer on the back of the saw for this, but it only collects about 50% I'd say. To combat this problem I built a tray underneath that slides in and out. It was a bit of a head scratcher because it needed to mount on a moveable plasma cutting rack that slides under my welding table. But I managed to design some moveable brackets that don't interfere with the table at all. The saw sits on top of the plasma rack and is bolted there most of the time.

Because it is a small shop with limited space I had to mount it in such a way that my slip roll acts as an in-feed table and the out-feed path goes between some machines already bolted to the welding table. The measurements of the Makita worked best for this. The Dewalt, which is in fact 14" and has a bigger motor, wouldn't have worked because of its measurements. Additionally, there are multiple complaints from some guys that the larger motor consistently trips 15A breakers. Re-wiring for 20A was a no go. I have no complaints with the Mikata's power; I've cut 3x3 angle 1/4" thick with no problem. The Makita is for steel and stainless only; the Dewalt can be used on AL. I suspect this is just a blade issue as the design and rake differs slightly on the two blades. But if you want to cut AL, do some research first.

All in all, I'd say the new saw is a 8 or 9 out of 10 and I am pretty happy. It's so much faster than abrasives, there is no finishing required for fabricators, the cut is cool to the touch, and of course there are almost no sparks.

1606508957440.png

1606509127705.png
1606510255658.png
1606509477478.png

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have a Evolution saw in the shop and have the same problem with chips a magnetic broom does wonders but a round 2 it that I’ve been thinking about is a funneling hood directing chips to a bucket something like the portable paint booth for modellers. I tried something like that on the shaper using ducting sheet metal with some success.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I have a Evolution saw in the shop and have the same problem with chips a magnetic broom does wonders but a round 2 it that I’ve been thinking about is a funneling hood directing chips to a bucket something like the portable paint booth for modellers. I tried something like that on the shaper using ducting sheet metal with some success.
That's a good idea Tom. I've heard there is a non-flammable cloth material that is flexible enough to make a bag arrangement for underneath as well. Apparently even though it's fabric-like, sharp metal edges don't catch on it. I wish I could remember its name.

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
We have a Milwaukee cold cut saw on the ship and it can cut a lot of surprisingly thick material with very good results. The (mostly) non sparking is great for the ship as well. I threw a cold cut blade on a very old Black and Decker 14" abrasive saw after I re-did the bearings and such and it runs fairly well too. The RPM is lower and does not exceed the cold cut blades recommendations so I will see how long things last.

You can get some pretty nice blades for various materials - some are pretty expensive though

The fence looks pretty good on your saw @CalgaryPT

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
What is the primary difference in the process? blade? speed? what makes cold-cut a cold-cut? I could google this, yes, but you opened the door!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You can get some pretty nice blades for various materials - some are pretty expensive though

@CalgaryPT
That was another reason why I went with the 12". The blades seem to be a lot cheaper.

BTW - I always meant to ask you Brent....how do you machine properly on a ship? Are there not movement issues that impact quality? Do you have special procedures? I know for example that in the military the machine shops inside Sea-Cans aren't suppose to be used within a certain radius of active combat for fear that artillery can throw off machining operations.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
What is the primary difference in the process? blade? speed? what makes cold-cut a cold-cut? I could google this, yes, but you opened the door!
Speed - they turn at fraction of abrasives. The blade is carbide tipped and can be resharpened. It's called cold cut because you can literally touch the metal right after it has been cut.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hold up a second - I guess I should change up what I said - we have a 'Dry Cut" saw - so basically has a carbide (or other saw like) material on a saw like blade and it cuts through steel and other metals. Runs around 3500 RPM. The Abrasive saw will run about the same or higher RPM a Cold Cut saw has a similar saw like blade but will use coolant to keep things going and runs about 1500 RPM

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hold up a second - I guess I should change up what I said - we have a 'Dry Cut" saw - so basically has a carbide (or other saw like) material on a saw like blade and it cuts through steel and other metals. Runs around 3500 RPM. The Abrasive saw will run about the same or higher RPM a Cold Cut saw has a similar saw like blade but will use coolant to keep things going and runs about 1500 RPM
That's true. Technically cold cut uses coolant. But people just refer to ones with a carbide blade as cold cuts. You are correct.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@CalgaryPT : we machine stuff on the lathe etc provided the seas are not to bad - like throwing you about - and the ice breaking is not heavy enough to throw off your finish or tolerance. If necessary we make stuff happen as its needed - bombs or no bombs - LOL

For the most part if it is rough, no one is working on something with added danger of things flying about. The ship is always moving and deflecting so the lathe is very big with a short length - it is a 13 x 30 I think - we used to have a 15 x 72 and it was horrible to work on - typically 0.005 out of round in the slightest seas.

We can accomplish some pretty neat stuff - surprisingly - and lots of hand work - you get very adept with a grinder and files....

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That’s pretty interesting. No one thinks about this stuff unless you’ve been on a ship I guess. I saw a show on TV once about kitchen challenges at sea and it got me thinking I guess. Thanks.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@CalgaryPT : the only reason I guess I corrected myself is that you can buy blades that are "Cold Cut" specific and only rated for less than 1500 RPM and you can hurt yourself if you slip one of them babies on a 3500 RPM saw. The Cut saw I have is 3500 RPM and the Dry cut blade I put on it is good for 4500 RPM - during my "test" I lopped a piece of 3/4 thick x 6" long hunk of steel off and it cut great! I was not expecting the results but it just whipped through it and yep - cool to the touch and I indeed shot so much shrapnel all over that I will be establishing some sort of barrier guards

Brent H

Ultra Member
There are lots of things that mess with you at sea for sure - nothing level, lots of curved surfaces, all the stuff is bolted down and lips and edges on things that really make life difficult. Clamps are typically- "weld it here to the deck so we can hold it". You get to see and work with a lot of cool materials and things - coatings, resins metals etc - lots of things to keep water out :)

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
@CalgaryPT : the only reason I guess I corrected myself is that you can buy blades that are "Cold Cut" specific and only rated for less than 1500 RPM and you can hurt yourself if you slip one of them babies on a 3500 RPM saw. The Cut saw I have is 3500 RPM and the Dry cut blade I put on it is good for 4500 RPM - during my "test" I lopped a piece of 3/4 thick x 6" long hunk of steel off and it cut great! I was not expecting the results but it just whipped through it and yep - cool to the touch and I indeed shot so much shrapnel all over that I will be establishing some sort of barrier guards
I wasn't going to get into it on this thread, but cold cuts can be much more dangerous as well, despite the lower RPM. There are vids on YouTube that explain it better than I can. But in a nutshell, never cut with a cold cut along the longest surface. For example, always cut flat bar vertically; always cut angle iron downward with the apex up, and use a block of wood to push large square tubing backwards so the blade attacks at the corner first (on some saws you can adjust the vice offset).

The rule of thumb is to have the fewest number of teeth on the material as possible. This is because there is much more torque with cold cuts. If too many teeth engage at once you can launch the stock out of the vice. With abrasives you just waste the blade and make a dust storm if you don't do this; but with cold cuts this can be a trip to the ER.

Last edited:

Brent H

Ultra Member
That would probably be another reason why someone putting that blade in a faster saw, cutting long ways could be in for a real crazy time - really good to know - Thanks @CalgaryPT

Does the saw you have suffer from this - is this best practice with any type saw using the carbide blade?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That would probably be another reason why someone putting that blade in a faster saw, cutting long ways could be in for a real crazy time - really good to know - Thanks @CalgaryPT

Does the saw you have suffer from this - is this best practice with any type saw using the carbide blade?
Yes, it does. The biggest safety section in the manual deals with this danger. Going from an abrasive to a cold cut I have to remember this rule. I'm going to put a warning tag on the saw to remind me until I unlearn that habit. On an abrasive if you do it wrong you realize it because it just doesn't seem to cut—or takes forever. Plus your wheel wears down FAST. But then you have a Homer Simpson moment, reorient your stock and it cuts.

You don't get a warning with a cold cut...so I need to retrain my brain.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Thank you very much for the intel - I will alter my practice as well for the thinner items and angle iron - Will also have a chat to the crew

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
On an abrasive if you do it wrong you realize it because it just doesn't seem to cut—or takes forever. Plus your wheel wears down FAST.

i don’t use my abrasive cutoff saw often but sometimes the cut just stalls (doesn’t progress), seems like the blade is toast ,!almost dull which I don’t understand. From your description this is what I experience . What do u believe is the root cause ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
i don’t use my abrasive cutoff saw often but sometimes the cut just stalls (doesn’t progress), seems like the blade is toast ,!almost dull which I don’t understand. From your description this is what I experience . What do u believe is the root cause ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great question. If I had to guess w/o experimenting I'd say it's a heat issue. Microscopically an abrasive wheel is millions of cutting planes. If you cut on the long edge, the amount of surface area causes a heat build up many times greater than cutting on the short edge. The heat doesn't get dissipated fast enough. The evidence for this is the amount of sparks and the glowing surface of the stock if you cut it this way.The heat decreases the efficiently of the abrasive, so instead of cutting you're almost friction welding (like on a lathe). Flip the piece over on its short plane and there's less heat due to the smaller surface area contacting the blade. Like magic it cuts now.

You can see the same principle at work if you use a grinding wheel to try to cut metal instead of a cutting (thin kerf) wheel in an angle grinder. Less surface area = less heat. Too much heat also contributes to disintegration of the abrasive, hence they wear out really fast.

That's my best guess.