• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Century Auction coming up - Shur lift End Mill Drill Press -

Tom Fitzpatrick

Craig - in your estimation, would this be comparable to having a vertical milling machine such as the one at the Olds auction - realizing of course it’s a much smaller scale to a full sized Bridgeport (or clone) vertical mill.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig - in your estimation, would this be comparable to having a vertical milling machine such as the one at the Olds auction - realizing of course it’s a much smaller scale to a full sized Bridgeport (or clone) vertical mill.

Not even close to being comparable. The Olds mill is a knee mill in the 3000 lbs category, this is one is a table top round column drill/mill clone maybe 300 lbs at most. This one has a tiny table and judging from the column dia isn't even RF30 size. My RF30 looks to be considerably bigger table wise than this one.

I guess you need to define what you mean by comparable.

Actually the auction photos indicate it's a LC-30A

Attachments

• LC15-LC30Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Tom Fitzpatrick

Not even close to being comparable. The Olds mill is a knee mill in the 3000 lbs category, this is one is a table top round column drill/mill clone maybe 300 lbs at most. This one has a tiny table and judging from the column dia isn't even RF30 size. My RF30 looks to be considerably bigger table wise than this one.

I guess you need to define what you mean by comparable.

Actually the auction photos indicate it's a LC-30A
Thanks for the update - appreciate your knowledge.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I found this for specs.... Long Chang Machinery lC-30A Milling Machine Make: Long Chang Ma Auction (0010-5041107) | Grays Australia

24" X 9" table? No wonder it looked odd to me, it's short and wide. Mines 29" X 8". I would have said it was a LC-15A from the pictures? Here are some LC-15A specs Long Chang Machinery LC-15 has Drilling - column milling machine (auctelia.com)

I know of one of these machines in Calgary that can be had for a couple hundred dollars. The table is dinged up but that doesn't make it unusable. I have a phone number if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I found this for specs.... Long Chang Machinery lC-30A Milling Machine Make: Long Chang Ma Auction (0010-5041107) | Grays Australia

24" X 9" table? No wonder it looked odd to me, it's short and wide. Mines 29" X 8". I would have said it was a LC-15A from the pictures? Here are some LC-15A specs Long Chang Machinery LC-15 has Drilling - column milling machine (auctelia.com)

I know of one of these machines in Calgary that can be had for a couple hundred dollars. The table is dinged up but that doesn't make it unusable. I have a phone number if anyone is interested.
Can you give me the contact name and phone number, please?

Tom Fitzpatrick

Went out to check out the Century Auction Shur Lift Mill yesterday afternoon - tables move well both in and out and sideways. lots of dirt - requires a good cleaning. The quill (handle on the side) doesn't engage (feels like something is broken in side (perhaps the slide gear or pinion). Also the head unit has a slide gear on the back and it as well seems to be seized. Quite a massive unit. I would say easily 250 - 300 lbs (or more) without the table. Single phase 220 motor.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have the same mill I am converting to CNC. The price was not steep - I was the 2nd bidder for last $200 or so. I let it go at about 1000+ with fees. I value the milling machine at around 1400 with some work to clean it up. New machine of the same type is 2700 plus tax, so we are talking half price.

There was no mechanical issue with the mill at all - it is in good working condition. The quill works fine - it is set to fine feed or in between - I have the same identical machine so I know. Not sure why someone would do that other then to decrease the price. Not sure what do you mean by slide gear on the back - the machine was fully locked with side bolts you could not move the head up and down. If the pinion was broken you could still move the quill - it would jump around - the block is from fine feed side.

Machine is quite sturdy and has indeed 9" wide table - it fits a full size 6" milling vise very nicely.

Overall someone got a very good deal. I was in it to clean it up and get it into working condition to re-sell. Have to pay for my hobby somehow. There were few other machinist items on this auction as well but hidden. The lathe dogs went for like over $50 which was too rich for me. There was also a tool box with two medium sized and one small square breaches - went for under 200. Also there was a small tool post grinder which went for just over 200.

Machine is quite heavy, without that table under it its around 600lbs or so. It is just at the right weight were you can barely take it apart.

There was also very large - like making Record #6 vise look like a toy, Canadian made, RAE number 206 vise - went for over 350 with fees. I guess few pp really like old school metal - again way too rich for me - my max was half that.

Tom Fitzpatrick

Thanks for clarifying that - didn't know it was set on fine and also that the head was locked. Good information to know from the collective reviews. Thanks for the feedback.
At the same auction I was bidding on the Gray tool chest, but with fees it got expensive for what I would be getting (I realize it was full of usable and assorted tools). Liked that it was probably made in USA or Canada and Gray means quality as I inherited a number of my Dad's Gray tools years ago and they ooze quality and craftsmanship. Opted instead for a Homak 27" chest from Costco (new and great return policy should that be necessary) - this'll now allow me to organize and rid myself of 5 tool boxes and always hunting through them for just the right wrench/socket/adapter, etc.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The only good buy for me at that auction so far (I have not picked up) is a lot with two large toppers, few assorted trays and one box with metal trays. There is some junk inside these as well. All for under 60. I probably sell the toppers or give one to my dad and keep the trays. The box with trays is similar to https://store.boltsupply.com/shop/i...order-uom=&warehouse-id=1&item-number=DURH303 or https://www.amazon.com/Olympia-Tool...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

These are great for organizing and for some reason uber expensive.

I bid on all mentioned items by me but nothing was exactly "cheap". It was not expensive either but not a "deal". Maybe the milling machine was close to a deal - certainly if I did not bid up the price it would be a smoking deal for someone... sorry.