• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Carbide Insert Facing End Mills - Which one to get ????

Brent H

Ultra Member
The selection:

934DED28-DCC0-4744-9717-1F1070F60EA6.jpeg
best finish is the fly cutter. Good workhorse is the third from the left. 5 inserts and 1-1/2”. Big one (second from left) is 3” and takes triangle insets. Does a reasonable job - close to the fly cutter. Smaller guys are 1-1/4, 1, 3/4 and 1/2. The last one is a triangle single cutter. The cutters that have a square or rectangular profile are typically used the same as an end mill and will cut slots, bore etc.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
This Old Tony did a great series on making your own fly cutter, and ho you can use LH lathe tools in it. A really good vid.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
My one and only attempt at using a flycutter was also my first attempt at using a metal cutting machine.
I had just unboxed a brand new lathe-mill combo and had the pleasure of needing 3 hrs and 4 gallons of parts washer fluid to remove all the "end to end-top to bottom" shipping cosmoline from the machine.
That piece of junk came with one cutter, a 3" indexable (3 cutters) flycutter so, logically to an absolute neophyte metal worker with the "god hates a coward" frame of mind...I mounted that cutter and clamped a piece of flat bar to the cross slide table.
I turned that machine on, it was at whatever speed the belts were factory installed at...Speed considerations....what speed considerations...and commenced to hand wheel feed that bar...Well that cutter no sooner started to buzz when "WHAM" one of those teeth grabbed ahold for an instant and then freely launched itself around that little shop for a couple seconds...That thing ricochet off every hard surface it could find and came to rest somewhere, never to be seen again...and I even looked for it when I moved from that garage and had it empty/cleaned top to bottom .
I don't know if, as Dabbler suggested, the dovetail slack allowed the bar to lift a bit or the cutters were not even...but damn , after being a shooter for 40 yrs, that was the closest I ever came to shooting myself with my own $hit !!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I will freely admit that seeing a fly cutter in action is a bit terrifying, the visual imbalance makes me instinctively cringe.

Chip Maker

Super User
My one and only attempt at using a flycutter was also my first attempt at using a metal cutting machine.
I had just unboxed a brand new lathe-mill combo and had the pleasure of needing 3 hrs and 4 gallons of parts washer fluid to remove all the "end to end-top to bottom" shipping cosmoline from the machine.
That piece of junk came with one cutter, a 3" indexable (3 cutters) flycutter so, logically to an absolute neophyte metal worker with the "god hates a coward" frame of mind...I mounted that cutter and clamped a piece of flat bar to the cross slide table.
I turned that machine on, it was at whatever speed the belts were factory installed at...Speed considerations....what speed considerations...and commenced to hand wheel feed that bar...Well that cutter no sooner started to buzz when "WHAM" one of those teeth grabbed ahold for an instant and then freely launched itself around that little shop for a couple seconds...That thing ricochet off every hard surface it could find and came to rest somewhere, never to be seen again...and I even looked for it when I moved from that garage and had it empty/cleaned top to bottom .
I don't know if, as Dabbler suggested, the dovetail slack allowed the bar to lift a bit or the cutters were not even...but damn , after being a shooter for 40 yrs, that was the closest I ever came to shooting myself with my own $hit !!

As soon as I read cosmoline I knew you were a shooter! Must be a Russian SKS mill lol!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
To use a face mill of any size greater than a regular end mill puts the square of the diameter times the square of the speed as energy in the impact. Large face mills require a lot of rigidity, in the form of mass and profile to allow them to be used effectively. On little mills with great fit and not much slop (there's always a little slop) the smaller the better.

On my 3800lb Bridgeport clone, I am reluctant to go bigger than 2" on a face mill, but I'd be happy taking a 20" diameter cut with a fly cutter. - far less abusive to the machine. (but it cuts a lot slower as well - but I have time)

Janger's and Tom O's 5,000? lb 8,000? lb mills with precision spindle and ball ways can easily handle a 3" cutter, and may even stretch to a 4", but by my seat of the pants calculations, that'd be pushing it.

I'm wondering, @Alexander - what do you guys use as a max face mill on what sized machines?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm interested in what these cnc guys have to say too. I'm more of a hack - if the surface is nice & machine isnt bogging, I figure I'm in the ballpark HaHa

I've seen calculators like this but haven't actually sat down & studied them. You can replicate their example & then input your own conditions.
http://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/en...tec_milling_formula/tec_milling_power_formula

But this says nothing about machine rigidity or tool conditions really, just power use. But what you can see is significant variance between material types & number of cutters. That's been my experience with flycutters, nice finish no question there. But likes relatively shallow DOC & slower in-feeds all things equal. If that works for the application then that's the weapon of choice. Mostly I do aluminum and mostly I overlap the cut path so I'm probably not taxing the cutter.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I use the most 2" 3 insert facemills on my machine - mostly b/c they are 3/4" shank and can be held in collet which I always have setup. I did use a 3 insert 3" without much of an issue but have to take light cut. The finish on aluminum was a total mirror. I do own larger facemills - one is 4" or 5" and another is like 8". I did use the 4/5 few times but it is too heavy for my main mill - it is much better on horizontal mill which through same weight class has no bolted head and spindle is in a giant massive block. I never used the huge 8" - it needs a special holder I never made - would be of some use on aluminum but I never worked a lot on aluminum.

The finish is also heavily related to the metal you are working on, quality / sharpness of inserts and speed (both feed and rpm).

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I ended up buying one of the 2" four-insert face mills on a whim.
Got it with a 3/4" straight shank so I can just put it into my MT3 collet.
Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 7.58.24 PM.png

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
As i posted earlier, I have one of those. I just finished a rotary table back plate and did a trial, one pass with that (on 4140 steel) and another w/fly-cutter.

Results: fly cutter every day of the week, twice on sunday! I used fresh inserts too, but the heat generated by the tool + finish quality was brutal. The fly cutter made it look easy.

But, when used on other material, I like it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
+1 on the fly cutter. Insert mills beat the heck out of the machine and require HP to work well.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So the face mill arrived today.
Quite decent looking.
Works well in aluminum as would be expected.
1d3611554b7c15672954f7b04ffb24ef.jpg

Steel is also darn good.
a6cc469da1f8091bc0eb4137a5fcb4af.jpg