• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Can anyone recommend a cutter?

Murdoch

So I am building an armour of steel, aluminum and titanium.
I am using steel sheet of 0.063 decimal inches of cold rolled steel. I need to be able to cut the sheet with straight and curves. The intricate details I can cut with jewelry tools, hand saws and a dremel. The aluminum is in a variety of thicknesses, but the sheet obviously can be cut by the same cutter as I would use for the steel.
Sadly I have a budget that would restrict me to a used tool. Aviation shears are out of the question as I have a hand problem that requires 3 surgical procedures, 2 trigger fingers and severe carpal tunnel. I have been looking on kijiji where I see nibbles and manual shears. Some electric or air. Plasma cutter would be great but the cost is out of my range right now. Just looking for anyone who actually has something or has used something that they can recommend. Rather than my buying something that quite frankly may or may not work. Thanks guys in advance...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
How far from the edge of the material can you cut? Is that a problem with this style? Or does it just lift the material out of the way and the U shaped bracket goes inbetween? The scissor types go anywhere.

Did you look in Kijiji . There are a couple for sale around here for less than this.

Murdoch

How far from the edge of the material can you cut? Is that a problem with this style? Or does it just lift the material out of the way and the U shaped bracket goes inbetween? The scissor types go anywhere.

Did you look in Kijiji . There are a couple for sale around here for less than this.
You say around here, I am in Toronto. Are you talking about a scissors type nibbler?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I think that is commonly called a nibbles. I’ve used a hand nibbles but never an electric one.
I also use my Bosch jigsaw to cut sheet steel. It works fine on the thin stuff but will cut up to ⅛” just a lot slower

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Yeah I see some on Kijiji here in Alberta. I'm sure hog town must have some used too.

Murdoch

Yeah I see some on Kijiji here in Alberta. I'm sure hog town must have some used too.
Not much really, I see for 18 gauge but that's mostly it. I saw an air shear and I did respond but I am still waiting to hear back...

Murdoch

IIjUHr3.jpg
Two Iron-man armour here the one in colour is made of cardboard, the other 18 gauge steel. This is the kind of thing I'm trying to do, but the War-Machine in a redesign. The gentleman who made this is Barry Armestead from Australia. I spoke to him and he used Wiss aviation shears, I am just trying to find something that will be faster and not as hard on the hands.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member