• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Busy Bee Lathe CX707 First Impressions and Value

:oops:o_OI installed my new CX707 and did my first cuts today after getting it wired in. It has not yet been fully dialed in or leveled yet.

Initial impression, heavy, well packaged and equipped. Cuts like a charm.

Negatives.....Manual sucks (did I say the manual really sucks) lots of fluff, no details in how the controls work.

This lead to the search out of the Grizzley Equivalent the G0750G and its manual. Basically the same lathe and minor variances in control layout but same functions, manual downloaded, what a difference in detail.

I can even add a taper attachment.

Now prices CX707 CDN$5,899.00 vs the G0750G US$6,690.00, that's about CDN$8,600.00 :oops:o_O. What is the difference????

Cast iron stands vs welded steel cabinet, extra power button, slightly larger spindle, D-5 (corrected) vs D-4 (2nd correction), optional tapering attachment, finally way better manual.

Now does this justify an extra $2,800.00, I think not! I can still get the taper attachment from Grizzly and download their manual.

This is value.

1651627039180.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Better comparison is https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...cVSZsRVCXZbHTO4y8oX5NZJ7JO6jg&productid=g0776

For 8600 CAD.

Here you get a bigger lathe, heavier by about 100kg etc. You also have extra DRO, QCTP - so about $500 value right there. So difference now drops to $2300. Is it worth it? Not sure. 13 x 40 vs. 12 x 36.

I do think Grizzly 12 x 36 you picked is like "deluxe" level - I think closer level is https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...Qp_wUSpwYW9s1aklHJGhsmSkjOVA&productid=g0949g

which is just over $5000 USD - which is around 6600 CAD. But you get QCTP - so in reality about 6350. Now Busy Bee lathe does not look that great price wise.

Apples and oranges, I was looking to compare same for same as I wanted the manual. Controls on the other 2 you mentioned are different.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Better comparison is https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...cVSZsRVCXZbHTO4y8oX5NZJ7JO6jg&productid=g0776

For 8600 CAD.

Here you get a bigger lathe, heavier by about 100kg etc. You also have extra DRO, QCTP - so about $500 value right there. So difference now drops to $2300. Is it worth it? Not sure. 13 x 40 vs. 12 x 36.

I do think Grizzly 12 x 36 you picked is like "deluxe" level - I think closer level is https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...Qp_wUSpwYW9s1aklHJGhsmSkjOVA&productid=g0949g

which is just over $5000 USD - which is around 6600 CAD. But you get QCTP - so in reality about 6350. Now Busy Bee lathe does not look that great price wise.
Sure, now get it here...Grizzly and anything else from the states adds a good 10-20%.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
:oops:o_OI installed my new CX707 and did my first cuts today after getting it wired in. It has not yet been fully dialed in or leveled yet.

Negatives.....Manual sucks (did I say the manual really sucks) lots of fluff, no details in how the controls work.

This lead to the search out of the Grizzley Equivalent the G0750G and its manual. Basically the same lathe and minor variances in control layout but same functions, manual downloaded, what a difference in detail.

Now prices CX707 CDN$5,899.00 vs the G0750G US$6,690.00, that's about CDN$8,600.00 :oops:o_O. What is the difference????

Cast iron stands vs welded steel cabinet, extra power button, slightly larger spindle, D-4 vs D-3, optional tapering attachment, finally way better manual.

Now does this justify an extra $2,800.00, I think not! I can still get the taper attachment from Grizzly and download their manual.

This is value.

View attachment 23644
Very nice. Congratulations. I think that was a good buy comparatively speaking. As mentioned in another post getting machinery and parts from the states is often expensive and time consuming.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Cast iron stands vs welded steel cabinet, extra power button, slightly larger spindle, D-4 vs D-3, optional tapering attachment, finally way better manual.

This is value.

View attachment 23644

I think the two are different enough to be not directly comparable. Just to pick the biggest difference I see, the G0750G has a D1-5 spindle same as my lathe (not a D1-4 as you suggested) That's a lot bigger spindle than a D-3. For example the D1-5 has 6 cam lock studs while the D3 has 3. This difference alone suggests many more differences in the gear box that we cannot see.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about finding something to compare to in order to find value. Yours has plenty of value on its own merit without needing to compare to something else. I think yours looks like a great lathe that many members on here would love to have.

Now setting the value comparison aside. If the grizzly manual (which I'm pretty sure is a free download) improves on what you have, then BONUS! But for anything mission critical, I'd be checking the content before I assumed it applied.

I think the two are different enough to be not directly comparable. Just to pick the biggest difference I see, the G0750G has a D1-5 spindle same as my lathe (not a D1-4 as you suggested) That's a lot bigger spindle than a D-3. For example the D1-5 has 6 cam lock studs while the D3 has 3. This difference alone suggests many more differences in the gear box that we cannot see.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about finding something to compare to in order to find value. Yours has plenty of value on its own merit without needing to compare to something else. I think yours looks like a great lathe that many members on here would love to have.

Now setting the value comparison aside. If the grizzly manual (which I'm pretty sure is a free download) improves on what you have, then BONUS! But for anything mission critical, I'd be checking the content before I assumed it applied.
Actually there are few minor differences, how the controls function, none what so ever other than the feed control knobs on the headstock being swapped.

As to size and casting I believe these are the same lathe, just depends on what boxes you check in placing your order from China. (Explains the King, PM and other similarities). Since the owners of BB and Grizzly are brothers they share the same suppliers but created 2 different brands (considering the BB family married the daughter of there main equipment supplier).

The King 12x36 matches closely with another Grizzly model. PM likely does too.

Thanks @Susquatch typo on the D5.

Sure, now get it here...Grizzly and anything else from the states adds a good 10-20%.
I have little worries about getting US sold product into Canada as for me that last 150km general adds little cost if any as I import from my US Address. :D. As an example my Deckel clone cost me less than with 5C holder vs the R8 from ACCUSIZE with added extras thrown in all costs, duties and exchange thrown in.

@Susquatch and I have been having discussion on the side re same vs similar or not and why. The irony is we both agree and disagree with each other for the same reasons and I'll let @Susquatch have the first shot at it ;) as it might be informative for others on the forum looking at equipment (be it lathes or other tools).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch and I have been having discussion on the side re same vs similar or not and why. The irony is we both agree and disagree with each other for the same reasons and I'll let @Susquatch have the first shot at it ;) as it might be informative for others on the forum looking at equipment (be it lathes or other tools).

Ya, too funny.

For everyone else reading this, I like how it turned out by reaching out to @Degen off line. Much easier to understand each others mindset than what would probably become an argument here. My thanks to @Dabbler for teaching me that lesson.

On the surface, it looks like @Degen and I disagree about the differences between a BB 707 and a Griz 750. I no longer think we do. It is just a matter of degrees. Let's put it this way. A loaded Ford Raptor is still a Ford pickup just with a lot of different options. I think the two lathes are very different because of all the different features, he thinks they are basically the same with a lot of different features.

That discussion led to some interesting talk about how they do this. If we assume that the same outfit makes grizzly lathes and busy bee lathes and king lathes and pm lathes and and and..... Then we can prolly assume they make them for similar outfits in Europe, middle East, South America, Africa, and India too. There might be a hundred companies all over the world selling the same basic lathes under different brand names with different guts, parts, and standard equipment. Yet they are all similar with some common parts and some common castings and common accessories.

So we found ourselves wondering how that Chinese outfit does all this. How does a Craftex CX 707 come to be? (from cradle to market) And how much do those different steps cost? What does their product development group look like? What does their sales group look like? And how do they deal with customers in their own country? In other words, what is their overall business model and where is their business model going in say 10 years from now?

Back to all of you for input, opinions, and thoughts - if you are interested.

Further update, made standard to allow tooling to set the correct height. References off the cross slide and uses the fingernail test. If it doesn't scrape its flush and at the right height.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Further update, made standard to allow tooling to set the correct height. References off the cross slide and uses the fingernail test. If it doesn't scrape its flush and at the right height.

That's my favorite method too of setting the tool height too. Except I put my standard on the flat way instead of the cross-slide.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thats where I did it on the Logan Lathe, on this one I have a great flat one the cross slide.

How do you avoid having to put the cross slide under the chuck when the height is set over the cross slide? Mine would then require all my cuts to be over the cross slide too (or the cross slide under the cuts. Do you have a crap load of travel on your compound?

I should add likely because it is a Gap Bed lathe (my first, not that I'll likely use it).. but it does explain the cross slide travel as the carriage would be limited on the bed when the gap is open.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I should add likely because it is a Gap Bed lathe (my first, not that I'll likely use it).. but it does explain the cross slide travel as the carriage would be limited on the bed when the gap is open.

Mine is a gap bed too. I will NEVER remove the gap section. Anyone wanting work done that requires that - including me - will be told to take it elsewhere.

I understand the carriage travel.

But my issue is compound travel. If I position my tool far enough back over the cross slide so that I can adjust the tool height over top of the cross-slide then I cant move it out over the bed afterward far enough to keep the compound out from under the chuck.

My compound simply does not have that much travel.

The other thing is that I prefer to keep my compound back in order to maximize rigidity.

Mine is a gap bed too. I will NEVER remove the gap section. Anyone wanting work done that requires that - including me - will be told to take it elsewhere.

I understand the carriage travel.

But my issue is compound travel. If I position my tool far enough back over the cross slide so that I can adjust the tool height over top of the cross-slide then I cant move it out over the bed afterward far enough to keep the compound out from under the chuck.

My compound simply does not have that much travel.

The other thing is that I prefer to keep my compound back in order to maximize rigidity.
I only have to move it back about 1-1 1/2 inch for clearance, then to comes forward flush (chuck side) with the cross slide and the tool holder and bit are about 1/2 clearance.

I leveled the lathe in length (more or less) but on the rails (no twist) as close as I can get it with my Starrett 98-6 as it reads 0.005/ft. Now that all the rubber feet are solidly in contact with the concrete floor, the lathe has float but returns to level. :cool:. I've done this because I know the vibration from near by machinery (mill), door slamming in house, not to mention temperature changes does impact a floating concrete floor, why work against it when you can float with it.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

Not really - At such large purchase you need to only pay extra fuel to and from border. Plus maybe around $25 USD. I know gas is expensive but lets not get ahead of ourselves here, not that expensive.

So it adds about 200 CAD plus whole day. That would be like 4% or so.