• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Building a Lathe face/drive plate

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist has a thread about looking for a lathe face plate and drive plate so I thought I would build one that will do both. @PeterT just made a fixture plate for his rotary table and that type of plate could also be used for the lathe face plate application.
The face plate on a lathe can be used to turn or face odd shaped items and has a bit more versatility than a 4 jaw chuck for some odd shapes - you just need to watch how you balance the weight so as to avoid as much vibration as possible. Typically the face plate has a centre hole that allows you to insert a dead centre into the spindle of the lathe. Mine is a #4 Morse taper. This will allow you to turn between centres.
Most lathes are sized by the diameter they can turn and the length. Typically that length is greatly reduced when you add a chuck as the length is given between centres. Turning between centres allows the project to come off the lathe for checking fits or even transferred to other lathes with out impacting the accuracy of the turning. You can do it using your chuck, a centre inserted into the chuck, cleaned up on the lathe and then use the jaws of the chuck to drive the dog holding your work piece. You can also do it by installing a drive plate and using a centre in your lathe spindle. This can add several inches of extra length if your project requires it.
For my project I will be making a face plate (you can bolt work on) and also add a fixture for use as a drive plate for “L” shaped lathe dogs. The straight dogs require a bolt to engage the drive pin on the dog. This would also be easy on this type plate.
The plate I am making is 9” OD (I have a 10” lathe) and 7/8” thick. It is mounted to a D-3spindle adaptor plate.
98DB9C11-9124-4ECE-9942-1116359E3FD8.jpeg
some Bluing to get a rough layout. I stamped a deep centre punch approximately in the centre

I set things up on my mill on top of a large (12”) rotary table and drilled and tapped for the D-3 adaptor. Holes are threaded for 3/8-16
3FACD3DD-00E6-4809-A3CF-1C6F50B7AE48.jpeg
Once that was done I milled slots in at every 60° using a 3/8” carbide 4 flute end mill (additional 0.020” on either side of the slot for clearance) and then milled out the “T” using a special purpose T slot end mill for 3/8” bolts.
9C6CE563-8769-4AA2-95DC-D93C749906CC.jpeg
DE525DA3-9BC2-4B56-9B10-EF82EEE2A667.jpeg
More coming....

Brent H

Ultra Member
The build continues.....

For those who keep track of feeds and speeds : I was running the 3/8” end mill at about 850 RPM and my x-axis doesn’t give a feed rate but I was probably 4 to 5 inches per minute. The end mill was just chewing the stock with no issues and I could touch the (not running LOL) mill after taking the needed passes. I took 0.050” each pass to a depth of 0.610”. The T slot cutter was running 100 RPM with a feed of about 1/2 to 3/4 inch per minute. Clean cuts, no heat build up.

Once slotted I needed a relief in the back for the D-3 adaptor plate. I bolted the adaptor plate onto the front and then cut a 0.125” deep relief just shy of the D-3 required diameter. I unbolted the face plate and then de-burred followed by taking light cuts off the D-3 flange until I had a good fit to the face plate. Bolted everything together.
10343339-8FED-476F-B18E-DA7F43651BF0.jpeg
for the D-3 adaptor the posts are all fit to the numbered holes in the lathe spindle. I then stamp the flange so it always goes back in the correct orientation.
On the lathe I needed to bore the centre hole to 1-3/8 and also true up the outer surface and add some reference rings to the face. Trueing up the outside was a challenge as my lathe cannot back up enough to reach. I spun the tool post and used a left hand boring bar - worked very well.
F516D6F9-1AE7-4BDC-9221-62982B78689E.jpeg
I then machined in some rings with a 45° Tool bit, broke the edges on everything and here is the face plate
CBC1A89F-7919-4B00-8DC2-7C2899C9EEE1.jpeg
So now I need to make some T nuts and a fixture for the dog legs. While I was messing about I found I have a #4 Morse taper dead centre so that will work and I also have a #4 Morse taper to Jacobs 33 where the 33 taper is a bit chewed. My thoughts are to machine it straight and then make up a “sacrificial” tip that can be turned true once you insert the dead centre. I will post more on the other parts as they are made.

the plate is about 0.003 thou out of perfect “flat”. I have not run a racing pass on it and may just leave it like that.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Thank you @David_R8 - it took about 7 hours to make - had to find the tools and set up the mill etc. The D-3 adaptor plate is a $75 Amazon item. I wished I could find just the hardened pins for a decent price but I am having no luck. At $25 each .... well .... might as well get the whole thing - LOL.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice job. well executed.

Have you come across a homebrew balancing fixture that allows you to counterweight the face plate assembly like when you machine non-symmetrical components or end up with more clamps on one side for example?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@PeterT : nothing yet regarding the balancing other than with the slots I should be able to slide a counter weight/weights down the slot to achieve better balance and bolt in place. The drive dog will be of aluminum to lessen the mass of it. My stock pile looks to include a tasty piece.

I am currently sizing steel for some T nuts.
Here is mock up of lathe dog mounted:

A2350D74-9237-463C-BD7C-A0C9D6D258D0.jpeg
And here is my “sacrificial” centre idea on the board - not to scale LOL

6D8FFB1E-950C-4F01-800E-0C7F7E360BEF.jpeg
Simple way for lathe dog is just a block I can move to catch the tail. - or I machine a pocket ?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Carrying on with the build I made some T - nuts that are threaded for 3/8-16 bolts - should help hold future jigs and items. I also made a drive for the L shaped lathe dogs - it is a 1x1 x 2” piece of aluminum that fits the face plate slots to keep it from rotating and is held in place with a 3/8 socket head cap screw.

easiest way to make T nuts is in a batch out of a longer piece of stock. These are made from a 6-7/8” long x 3/4 wide x 1/2” thick piece of steel. The T part is about 0.400 wide to fit the slots in the face plate. I chopped them off in the bandsaw and then faced them a bit for looks. De-burred and blacked.
1DA6C3E7-798D-4364-B74D-E84465A1C498.jpeg C5256DCA-C108-4ACE-9FE5-198DA51C1E4B.jpeg
9E790598-D342-4065-A85D-A225E54E1AA5.jpeg
E55D36B9-0799-4F68-B4E2-6E1F60274F77.jpeg
the above pic is me counter boring the aluminium block for the socket head screw. These counter bores are nice as they indicate the head size and clean out a nice bore.
D01FD6B8-CAD5-4FD9-87E3-81755D821AFC.jpeg
And the drive block installed with a piece of old shaft demonstrating its function:

A7F93530-6BB5-46ED-AFDE-7D9659FA433C.jpeg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Brent, I haven't done any T-slot milling yet. What is your procedure? Like plough down the center line & then separate finish pass on either side? I assume the physical slot width is a bit bigger than the cutter diameter itself? And what about vertically, clean up pass along the floor of the T?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hi @PeterT

So I measured the shank of the cutter and it was 0.400 so that is needed a bit more clearance (say 0.015”). Since I was cutting on the rotary table things were somewhat easy. Once the table was square and centred I determined where I wanted to stop (some folks might want to plow right through - saves time).
I cut in to what I wanted the depth to be, in my case was 0.610 for a 7/8” thick plate. Once the final pass was done with the 3/8 straight cutter, I simply made a pass 0.020 either side of centre leaving a 0.415 wide slot.

the floor of the T is set with the T slot cutter. I brought it in to just be touching bottom (say a couple thou) and it did the rest. Power fed it in and out and while feeding blew the chips out (comp air) to keep the cutter from jamming up on material. Also a bit of oil for side lube of the cutter. So no clean up pass just the feed out and keeping chips out of the way.
For blackening I used the gun blue stuff from Cabelas but - rinsed the parts in a bit of paint thinner to degrease and remove bluing, cleaned off and then soaked in an acid solution to remove any rust and mill scale - you can go harder with a diluted muriatic acid but outside and with huge ventilation. - I just soaked in vinegar for a few hours. Blew all clean and swished them in the bluing. Sit for 10 minutes in the bluing - then dry all off and coat in light oil - like spindle oil.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'll have to stop at Cabelas next time I'm in that area for some bluing. Thanks for the guide.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Check the prices on blackening solution. Its all over the map $/volume basis & from what I've experienced, its always the same stuff, for steel at least. I bought some from KBC once upon a time & also a local jewelry supply place called Kens Gems who has other solutions more for the metal artist crowd.

From my experience I wouldn't bother with kits. For prep solution, use Brent's recipe or I've had the same results with water based grease/oil removal solutions, acetone, methanol & other degreasing prep solutions. You just have to watch some thinners if they have an oily residue component. Just because its meant to reduce or thin oil based paint for example, doesn't mean its degreasing the surface. The cleaner you make it the better chance of no blotches. The more you prep the surface so its uniform matte, the better it will look. I like those maroon scuff pads. Yes, use a new one.

We have discussed this elsewhere but like Brent I've found the best coating once blackened is oil. Just be sure you have dipped or applied the black solution enough times so you are happy because once its oiled, its not a great surface for re-blackening without essentially starting over.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Roger that @PeterT - my paint thinner of choice is typically something like acetone or lacquer thinner - nothing that leaves residue. The gun blue at Cabella’s is a common one - forget the name but it is pictured in my thread on refibbing that cinicinatti tool cutter/grinder

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I like those maroon scuff pads. Yes, use a new one.
And here I was hoping to use up the bag of old oily ones I have:D. Thanks for the reminder, I would expect that prepping the same as for paint should be sufficient. I forgot that bluing came out that dark.
Brent - I'll check your other post for the name of the bluing and lacquer thinner is in my paint cabinet.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I am going to guess it was Brownells - oxpho-blue. That is what I found at our Cabela's in town.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is KBC 1 qt (smallest size) for price reference

Attachments

• SNAG-11-4-2020 0005.jpg
    SNAG-11-4-2020 0005.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 11