• Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Big old interesting lathe

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Premium Member
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-in...-s/1303223828?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I stumbled across this ad for a very large 18000lb older lathe. It has an interesting turret and carriage arrangement. Are the attached arms to hold huge boring bars? It also has another feature I don't understand. Above the headstock there is a heavy bar with some clamping type arms - what does that bar do? Does it slide? Or what is that feature for? Beautiful old machine belongs in a museum.

I invited the seller to post more info here.

Attachments

It always amazes me seeing machines like that and of that size.
The sheer weight, size and complexity coming together to perform a precision task. Even a delicate task.

Oh? Me? No, sorry, I cant add anything of use to this thread. Cant answer any questions. Just saying I like the pictures. ;)

Cheers

Tom Kitta

Main problems I see using this in a garage outside of space needed is the weight of the chuck & changing it. Need a crane. Also this should be at least 25hp machine for that size - would be a problem for garage wiring even at 100amps... well maybe 25hp would just barely be OK. Since it is an older lathe it may have very low top speed - at say under 500 rpm. Which is totally fine for large pieces but inadequate for small stuff especially with carbide.

Turret lathes are wonderful production machines and have a bit of automation to them (tools are in a turret).

This would be wonderful addition (if all is OK with the machine) for oil country style machine shop - through I am sure they would complain about small through-bore.

Dabbler

That is the biggest 2nd operation lathe I've ever seen! I've never even heard of a 2 carriage lathe. A real find - perhaps some museum should snatch it up!

Tom Kitta

I know there is some museum we could not get into as a group due to timing - if you have address handy maybe sending them an email is in order.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Premium Member
That is the biggest 2nd operation lathe I've ever seen! I've never even heard of a 2 carriage lathe. A real find - perhaps some museum should snatch it up!
Hey John ask your friend B. what that big bar on the lathe is for. I imagine he might know.

Biggest lathe I ever saw was in my teens, it came from Calgary's Ogden shops, where they built anti aircraft guns, during the war. It was in a construction company shop and got lots of use.

Grizz

Tom Kitta

There is a Polish made old lathe on auction in Calgary at Michnner Allen - its a 20" swing. Its for sure 10,000+ lbs This coming Thursday. In case anyone wants to bring that big girl home. I expect to sell for $3000 - $5000.

Tom Kitta

This isn't as big as that lathe but if you look closely at who sold the machine and at what they are using as a plug for the tail-stock it is pretty interesting. and you could say that it is big
Looks like a large hollow tube - they push witch chuck jaws outward and the center is against 2x4 as they either don't have a bullnose or its too big for it.

But at first I thought it was a giant chunk of steel.

Not sure whatever the center idea with 2x4 is good - maybe with super light cuts. They could use some kind of steady rest instead.