• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Biax scraper internals

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The magic revealed!
Please know that I have studied this video, so if you ever find a Biax at a garage sale, you may drop it off at my house with the warm feeling of assurance it will receive the TLC it deserves. HaHa
They are so rare even Robinhood doesn't have one (that we know of) LOL

Tom O

Ultra Member
Ha I've been thinking about the biax scraper for the last couple of weeks using a stepper motor for speed control while trying to get a idea for the action and for a variable stroke for flaking so I'm going to have to 3d print a prototype it looks like.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They are so rare even Robinhood doesn't have one (that we know of) LOL

That is funny!

I made a mistake last year: there were two for sale in ON (a scraper and a flaker). I waited too long to decide and they were gone...

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes. That is a very good solution to an otherwise expensive tool.

I am most likely going to do something similar.

Hacker

Super User
I guess I can gloat a little. Just bought a Biax 7ELM on Kijiji yesterday. Been on Kijiji for 8 years and this is the first one that I have seen. Now I have to learn how to use it. That might take more time then finding one.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made a mistake last year: there were two for sale in ON (a scraper and a flaker). I waited too long to decide and they were gone...

Without really knowing better, I just assumed with the Biax, scraping & flaking was the same machine, but different stroke, cutting tool & technique. Does it not work that way or maybe you mean the flaker was a different machine not intended for scraping?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
the flaker is a machine for finishing the scraping job to put oil pockets (falkes) into the scraping job. the scraper does not do this well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
making one from a power demolition saw

If you've used a Biax, then you'd know you are better off manually scraping than using a demo saw version.

I scrape manually these days. For rough scraping, a Biax is very labour saving. For Flaking, it can't be beat (Flaking manually is pretty hard) but for finish scraping to a standard there no way better than by hand.

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
I actually enjoy the hand work, I've never used a machine never knew there was such a tool. Sigh ... sheltered life I spose'