• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Best local place source odd sizes by weight?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I haven't been to MetalSupermarkets in a long time but I seem to recall a shelf of off-cuts sorted by type, say 1018 CRS or HRS. You could grab what's there as-is & they charged you by weight which worked out cheaper than the stock itself. Does anybody know if that's still the case or alternative local supplier that does this? Do they have min $ purchase requirements?

If I cant find size I'm looking for I guess next option is the usual buy a 1-foot offcut & cutting fee etc. I have some projects in mind with oddball stock (for me) like 1x1.5 and 1x2. The stock is dirt cheap elsewhere but shipping is the killer.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I've used the bins with no consistency on rates. One day it's a handful for $5 others it's by weight others by weight itemized by material and once was per inch .. I walked

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
last time I was there I was charged by weight for cutoffs - price doubled! I only figured out the ruse when I got home and weighed and compared prices.

I just can't see going back.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I'm looking for thin walled round tubing in a variety of sizes. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1", by 0.035 or something even 0.065. Anybody got any ideas? Thin and flexible easily shaped.
Precision Tubing was suggested - maybe I'll see.

Jim51

I gave up on Metal Supermarkets a long time ago. Very inconsistent. Federal Metals is the place to go for quantity.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It been a while since I bought any plate and need some off cuts. Where's the best place for off cut plate? I am looking for some 1 foot square or so 1/4" or 1/2" plate to mount a Beverly Shear on a moveable base.

I thought Varsteel used to have a fab shop out by BigRock at one time where you could get off cuts. Is it still there???

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm a new guy;)
I get my balls and hemi's from George Bezdan, in Vancouver. They do ship and may have a place in Alberta. Thumb through their site. They have a lot of ornamental stuff and may have some thin tube.
My supplier for regular CR and HR stock is Island Plate and Steel here on Van. Island. I use a lot of .063 tube, 1/2" up to 1.5". Prices are good.
Metal Super Markup is crazy with prices!!!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
www.geobezdan.com Bert?
and just for interest I wanted to see the Island plate and steel web site - can't find anything just an address... Do they have a web site that you know of?

www.geobezdan.com Bert?
and just for interest I wanted to see the Island plate and steel web site - can't find anything just an address... Do they have a web site that you know of?

Yes sir, that be them. Pretty quick delivery from Vancouver to me. Next day if I order before 1pm.
I.P. is part of United Engineering. I don't think they concentrate much on the "retail" style of metal sales. Sorta, if you know about them, you go. They moved a 45 m in drive from me now, but still my go to place for the basics. I figured I mention them for anyone on the Island, on here.

Everett

Super User
I know this is an older thread, but I actually have had really good experiences with the Metal Supermarkets in Edmonton - Scott and the guys there have been pretty good to me. Kind of unfortunate that others haven't had the same experience. It's even better now that they don't charge for cuts, I've gotten lots of useful bits out of the short ends bin.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
last time I was at the Calgary location durng the summer 2017, they wanted $25.00 for 1lb 6101 in their offcuts bin. I left and didn't return.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I went into the metal supermarket here in calgary this last fall, the new location, all was well until i needed to pay some crazy cut fee far exceding the price of the piece i was getting. I really do get hit or miss, every time a different experience, but we are talking 5 visits in all time, 2 were unpleasant

It really seems IMO, to fluctuate with the person you are dealing with, especially in offcuts. Its hard to know on what day it is priced by weight or by length, i figure if the bins are full its a good day to shop and help clean up ;)

Jimbojones

@ MS definitely has changed over the years..have been 'misinformed' from them a number of times in the last few years when they are selling off-cuts and telling me they are 'giving me a deal' when I already researched their full retail/new metal prices per inch in advance and its what they're charging. Even full length prices are not competitive vs Federal...about 40% more for same product.

Jimbojones

So who's the 'right' person to get? Mid-aged lady gives deals...if you're fluid in French (which I'm not); was annoying to see the guy in front of me getting deal and then her disposition completely changed when it was my turn (and no, her/I do not have a negative history together)

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
If you find yourself in the metal supermarket location in Calgary quickly leave you are about to get jerked around. The steel inc guy is only 5 min down the road and he will be able to take care of your hobby needs. If you want a better deal on steel try federal metals. The benefit of steel inc is he is open Saturday and he has aluminium.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Yeah that would be him. I notice the map at the top of the page is wrong but the map near the bottom of the page is correct.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The steel inc guy does have a reasonable steel selection and aluminium. He also has thinner gauge sheet metal in various types. James is his name. No brass bronze copper or anything like that. Just 1018 and 6061. Only sells 10’ lengths. He’s a little more than Federal but open Sat.

Attachments

• 58A5603E-2516-4474-8D0D-A1C38BC765E9.jpeg
    58A5603E-2516-4474-8D0D-A1C38BC765E9.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 16
  • B8A6346A-A816-43C1-B027-48E2408B9B19.jpeg
    B8A6346A-A816-43C1-B027-48E2408B9B19.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 16