• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Battlebots Calgary

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Guys,

A buddy of mine and I have been talking about building a battlebot (
)

We're talking about making a backyard arena and having some (man-child, destructive,) fun.

We don't have any experience with robotics at all, but have decided it will be a fun project.

This thread is to see if anyone else would be interested if we put together a little competition. Anyone who wants to participate will also be helping to figure the rules (max $ spend?, weight limits?

We're talking about a year from now, next summer to give everyone time.

What do you guys think?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I would be interested but it sounds expensive. Could be cheap if we use a car battery and wheelchair parts. But that would make for a monster battlebot lol. Ah what the hell count me in! I have tons of experience building big RC vehicles gas buggies, nitro boats and 2-stroke planes. Haha I made this when I was in high school from my dads string trimmer. He still wants the motor back and it has been 11 years. image.jpeg

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hah, that thing is awesome!

With regard to costs, we could setup teams, that's always an option. Maybe 2-3 man teams per bot maybe? Or if people want to go in solo thats fine too?

Any thoughts on max spend, max weight etc? or should we just wing it?

kylemp

Well if we just wing it, chances are pretty good I'll use a 3 ton chassis and a cat diesel or something along those lines.. So rules are a good idea.
Turns out the battlebots rules are a max of 250lbs, which should be good unless someone wants to use an engine in theirs..

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
250lbs is lots. Check out the rules on the battlebots website and see if there is anything you disagree with. It all looks reasonable to me.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member