• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Bathroom demo/reno materials salvage?

mikoyan31

Stewie
Good day all.

For background, a couple weeks ago a rain storm in the kitchen kicked off a bathroom renovation much sooner than anticipated.

Now here's the problem. My Scotish ancestry (I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!) combined with growing up and living in a poor rural area of New Brunswick means I'm having a hard time tossing the plastic 4 piece shower/tub surround. My brain is going "there must be SOME use for that plastic panel and I'll rue the day that I ever threw it away!" That said, I have more usless crap salvaged materials in the garage and shed than I'll probably ever need.

So, anyone have any suggestions as to why I should keep some or all of it? ;) I'm already saving the brass and copper fittings and pipe I'm taking out. Some will be reused, some will be added to the scrap pile to be melted down if when I get a melting furnace set up.

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
For sure save the tub....if you ever get the urge to re-load shotshells, thats the place to set up your loading machine....spills of lead shot are inevitable and roll everywhere on a hard floor.....if your in an old tub everything is neatly contained.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I seem to be really good at finding a use for every piece of scrap anything; metal, wood, plastic, whatever. Went looking for an old broom handle the other day and came up short.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I saved the tub from our reno for a chicken bath lol

A complete surround would make an interesting milling machine enclosure lol. Complete with the spongebob shower curtain and all :D

I save all kinds of stuff.....some people call us hoarders.....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Murphy's Law: Whatever you throw away you will have found a use for next week, whatever you save will be there cluttering up your shop until eternity.

Ask me how I know...
Yes that is so true.

I'm getting a little bit less inclined to save every single thing I see now "in case" I might someday need it. I find myself cluttered and held back by clutter and stuff, yet as soon as I get rid off something I will need it shortly after.