• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Band saw

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have an old 4x6 band saw that I picked up to do a rebuild on it but because of some health issues I have had to change my direction.

The machine looks rough but this saw does run, it needs a bit of re-alignment on the saw guides and setting the spring weight on the cutter frame and a can of spray paint when that's all done. I changed bearings on the blade guides and cleaned & re-greased the angle gear box but that's as far as I got. The blade in the saw at the moment is an old dull 64 1/2 " that I have in it just for trial runs so it will need a new one ( about $15 at PA I think)

This isn't going to be a "plug-n-play" machine but 1/2 days work on a rainy afternoon should make it usable...I do have another saw of the same breed & vintage but still cuts hundreds of inches of steel a year.

This saw isn't going to be free...It'll cost you some gas to come and get it ( I'm 2 hrs from Cal or Ed or 40 min east of Red Deer and home most days & evenings) and a box of Timmies to make up for the new bearings LOL.

I have some photo's and a short vid of this thing running if you PM me a phone # to text to.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I don't need one, but can vouch for the fact that these machines are pretty basic and can run forever if treated right. My first one was a 4x6 from Busy Bee. It fell off the forklift and the guys there couldn't make it run. They sold it to me for $20 in the early/mid 1990's. Turned out to be a few dents and a broken motor mount stop. A couple of tack welds and it ran for about 20 years. I gave it to a guy on this forum for free a few years back; it still ran perfectly (by now probably needs new bearings though).

But bottomline is these machine are totally worth a tank of gas if free or cheap. Great starter machine for guys new to the hobby! They can also be sufficient for a lifetime of use depending on material being cut and frequency of operation. For your average machinist they are great.

Nice of you to offer it up and help others out.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Heck a drive east of Red Deer is worth the gas alone! And then to get a band saw to boot on top off that.?!? I wish I needed a band saw! I'm sure someone in need will be quickly contacting you.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
It's gone to a new home. A neighbor stopped by last night when I was attempting to take a better video, asked what I was up to. He has a son still in school who has a "mechanical" bend to his interests and he decided that that saw would fit the bill quite well for the boy to occupy himself for a few hours and practice his analytical/problem solving skills a bit rather than the "just replace the parts" that is so prevalent now-a-days.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It's gone to a new home. A neighbor stopped by last night when I was attempting to take a better video, asked what I was up to. He has a son still in school who has a "mechanical" bend to his interests and he decided that that saw would fit the bill quite well for the boy to occupy himself for a few hours and practice his analytical/problem solving skills a bit rather than the "just replace the parts" that is so prevalent now-a-days.
What a good place for the band saw!!! Lots of kids now days don't have that opportunity to develop those skills!