• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Balls

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Anyone willing to let me play with their balls for awhile.

Stop that, what are you thinking here.

Keep it clean folks.....!! LOL

I mean ball bearings. Planning a project that requires me having six 4mm ball bearings, 10 to 12 would provide a safety net in knowing I will surely loose a couple.. Anyone out there with a jar of loose ball bearings who would share with me. Perhaps a ring of bicycle ball bearings but they must be 4mm.

Checked with bearingsCanada they have 4mm chrome at $1:00 each plus $12:60 shipping plus tax. Not going to happen.

Ok go for it. Bill

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If you don't need new ones what about the local bike shop? They must have a bucket of old balls for you to play with. lol
Thoughts and prayers for our lost Snowbird.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Tried our one and only bike repair shop before coming to the forum. Chap said he saves nothing because it's all throw away.

That's the way of our world today. Bill

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Bill Vitasport on Centre street and 30 Ave North should be able to help you. I have bearings, but none in the 4mm range.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Are 4mm commonly used in bicycle wheels? I probably see a trashed/abandoned bike in our alley almost weekly.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thanks to John Conroy appreciate your interest with this, unfortunately I can't go over the 4mm diameter.

What I'm trying to do is reuse an existing hole which has a #10 -32NF thread. The 4mm ball will create a pressure point when followed by a brass bolt of the same size which will act as a brake of sorts.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Are 4mm commonly used in bicycle wheels? I probably see a trashed/abandoned bike in our alley almost weekly.

Have no idea as to what size bicycle bearing size is used these days. Only assume most are made off shore with metric sized components.

Haven't seen a discarded bicycle in our back alley for eons then again I rarely make use of our alley.

Shall keep an eye out, the middle one. Bill

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I have a bunch from old bicycle ones, various conditions and sizes, and a community bike shop down the street with piles of bikes being donated for parts or project but I’m in an old town annexed by Calgary. A bit far from sask

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Have you tried the museum or the RChobby guys. I used to know one of guys who was into model railroad and his parts bins had balls of every size and he hung out at the museum. Is there still an AME at the airport?, he may have something as well. Hand pumps like those on liquid soap or hand lotion come in different sizes as well, mom might not appreciate you ripping them apart though.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I have extra sets of eyes on the lookout for smaller starter (learner) 2 wheel junked bikes. I'm told that's where I will most likely find 4mm ball bearings. Because my planned project is months away I'll not sweat it just yet. There's always BearingsCanada should push come to shove. Bill

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I just tried the ball out of one of my old hand pumps and it won't go thru a 10-32 nut so mom's hand pumps are probably safe.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Do you know what size ball bearing have balls in the 4mm size? Maybe I or someone else has an old ball bearing with the balls in the size you need.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Can't answer that Tom, my only way in knowing would be to measure a ball within a bearing race if that's possible? As for me I wouldn't begin to destroy a bearing just to measure the diameter of the balls. I'll find them although that may take some doing.
I'm a bit of a hoarder myself although I've no 4mm balls. Bill

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Know any goose hunters? #2 steel shot is 3.81mm and #1 shot is 4.06mm or there abouts. All's I have right now is a box of BBs. I'll contact some friends to see what they might have laying around.

BTB - Haven't seen any abandoned/trashed bikes in the alley since the JHS behind the house closed. In fact I've never seen the alleys so nice and neat before. Lot of people with time on their hands I guess.

Craig

francist

Super User
Ya’d think in this mess of parts would surely be a race of 4mm balls — but no! I’ve got sixes, fives, even some threes but no fours. I’ll have another look though, might be a freewheel I could tear down in that rats nest.

CB7A928E-BB0E-446B-B368-740C0B16B637.jpeg

(Why I keep this stuff I don’t know, I haven’t touched a race bike for 30 years. And in a suitcase no less. Just in case I need to hit the road fast I guess.... )

-frank

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That’s some nice kit there Frank. When I was younger I always wanted a set of Shimano 600 brakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

francist

Super User
Hey, have I got the deal for you my friend.....:D

Brand new, never used Freni Modolo Speedy as well.

the sad thing everything else went to the recycle bin a couple years ago. Two set of wheels, fully laced with road blocks and sew up rims, titanium bottom bracket, etc. Nobody rides that old stuff anymore. :(

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow! Those are beauts!
Love those old brakes. Everything now is all disk this, hydraulic that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk