• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Anti Fatigue Mats

JohnnyTK

So now that I have completed 50% of my shop, I was wondering what people are using to reduce the harshness of the concrete on an aging back? TSC/Peavey are selling horse stall mats and that leads to my next question has anyone every cut one in half?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So now that I have completed 50% of my shop, I was wondering what people are using to reduce the harshness of the concrete on an aging back? TSC/Peavey are selling horse stall mats and that leads to my next question has anyone every cut one in half?

In fact that’s exactly what I have in front of my lathe and mill. In all honesty they are ok but not great.
Chips get stuck in them and they are heavy as heck to deal with.
I’m likely going to build a pair of wooden duck boards.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I recall having to cut some 3/4" rubber mats that look similar to horse stall mats, and are certainly just as heavy. I used them under our washer and dryer and also for vibration feet under my 60 gal compressor. I think I cut them with an abrasive cut off wheel and remember thinking "this shouldn't work," but it did. Go slowly.

gerritv

Gerrit
I made duck boards, huge improvement in comfort and reduction in swarf tracking to rest of house. They also don't smell of rubber for a decade.
1x3 ripped in half, glued and pin nailed. 1/4" or so gap between slats. Rub your feet across before stepping off and most/all of the metal stays underneath.

Attachments

• 20201025_175926 (Custom).jpg
    20201025_175926 (Custom).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 24

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have silver anti-fatigue matts - 6 of them. Got them on sale some time ago. So far no damage from chips but through I had them for over a year I only deployed them a month or so ago. My beaten buts have top of the line insoles in them so I am not noticing a big difference.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I bought several from Uline. ....

That Uline is a freaking awesome company for lots of shop stuff that people don't know about. Great delivery times as well. Right up there with Aircraft Spruce for usefulness and cool tools.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a heavy rubber matt from PA last year, it's still sitting outside. So strong a smell i almost had to open the car windows on the drive home. Will bring it in this winter once i get my basement back in order.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I recall having to cut some 3/4" rubber mats that look similar to horse stall mats, and are certainly just as heavy. I used them under our washer and dryer and also for vibration feet under my 60 gal compressor. I think I cut them with an abrasive cut off wheel and remember thinking "this shouldn't work," but it did. Go slowly.
I would try a jig saw with a coarse blade.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I cut mine with a utility knife. Took a couple of passes but no big deal.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I use these rubber mats from princess auto cut w/utility knife. Works well. The holes help catch/release swarg

3e3d4ea0614f7e5f5186b5834e840abb.jpg

b066e8a06ec35c142bf4baec19deb517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have several anti-fatigue mats spread out around my shop. I had a horse stall mat, I did not find that it was as good as the antifatigue mats. Also, way heavier to move around. I cut a strip off with a utility knife. Might have to try the duck boards, the anti fatigue mats I find move around a lot and tend to work themselves under the tool chest so I have to relocate them often if walking across them alot.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have a 3’ square piece of golf tee-off matt that is about 3” thick and weighs about 60 pounds. It is fantastic but heavy and awkward to move

It was from [mention]Janger [/mention] who found it in his back alley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyTK

That Uline is a freaking awesome company for lots of shop stuff that people don't know about. Great delivery times as well. Right up there with Aircraft Spruce for usefulness and cool tools.
They are not cheap Aircraft Spruce but do carry some great hard to find items.

JohnnyTK

I bought several from Uline. Expensive. hot chips tend to burn in but they made a big difference to my feet.
https://www.uline.ca/BL_1751/Anti-Fatigue-Mats?keywords=Mats+Rubber these ones. 5/8 thick. they don't smell.
Those are perfect as I want to be able to sit on my stool as I work on my wife's most important projects she has assigned to me for relinquishing her garage. Building a miniature house and renovating a partially completed one. I like the PA ones with holes for in front of my Sherlines.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have the heavy rubber ones that lock together and have round holes in them. I've used the foam ones but have abandoned them. They hold swarf and help imbed it in your soles.

The large holes help most of the swarf to fall through, which makes cleaning easy.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
A couple of commercial shops I know of use "take-off conveyor belting" cut to whatever length each machine requires. Requires changing every couple years because of scarf imbedded in it but it is usually had for free at any gravel pit or crusher/conveyor supply business.

It's heavy but one conveyor could do a dozen or more machine easily so a lot of hands could get together for a group operation of cutting & transport.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
A couple of commercial shops I know of use "take-off conveyor belting" cut to whatever length each machine requires. Requires changing every couple years because of scarf imbedded in it but it is usually had for free at any gravel pit or crusher/conveyor supply business.

It's heavy but one conveyor could do a dozen or more machine easily so a lot of hands could get together for a group operation of cutting & transport.
Any idea what “tunnel conveyor belt” is used for?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have never heard of anything referred to or restricted to Tunnel use and I guess I should have been more specific as there are metal chain conveyors in industrial use but the stuff I am talking about is common rubber coated both sides with a woven fibre center to inhibit stretching . I've seen & used 20" -60" widths but I'm sure there are lots wider.