• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Another "What has Josh been up to" thread

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Here's some of the things I have had on the go lately.

Firstly, spent another whole afternoon cleaning the shop. (It never ends!)

Just finishing up a little shop press brake for my tiny shop press:
(Bit of a hack job, just quickly threw it together. Also used it as an opportunity to show my little brother how the tig welder works.)
2017-07-30 12.16.25.jpg 2017-07-30 12.16.51.jpg
Need to find some thicker stock to work with. I had a piece of 3/16"X2" aluminum flatbar, but I cut it in half, whoops.
This still needs two springs and a guide ring at the top to ensure the press ram always lines up correctly.

Had @Alexander and @kylemp over on Saturday. Great hanging out with you both. Tinkered on a few things, flew the drone for a bit. Good times.
(Drone POV)
2017-07-28 20.47.39.jpg

Melted down some aluminum in my kiln, to prove it could. Going to keep my eyes open for some simple casting projects to take on, now that I know it's a relatively quick process to get the aluminum molten.
2017-07-26 19.22.42.jpg

Recently went to a scooter meetup with @Alexander and @Janger --> That thing was awesome fun.
2017-07-25 21.35.51.jpg
--> Those scooters really outpace my moped though, have to work on that.

Finally cutting functional stuff on the CNC Plasma cutter. Here's a sign I made for the family house in the crowsnest pass:
2017-07-31 09.26.17.jpg
--> Still some backlash type problems to work out, but still learning a huge amount with this stuff.

Did some work on my (new to me) bandsaw. Here are the specs:
2017-07-28 22.46.28.jpg

After cleaning up the shop. I've decided to make one of those thread displays you see at hardware stores, for checking thread sizes. I want to have: M+F Imperial threads, M+F Metric threads, and Hex head bolts imperial and metric too.
(I decided on this new project because I finished cleaning and added 20% to the pile of allen keys:)
2017-07-30 20.15.58.jpg
Also because I have about 25 different bins with assorted bolts in them that came off of old repair projects, etc. Want to get them sorted into bins by thread size.

Still haven't really started my X2 Mill CNC, but have pretty much all I need now except for a bit of stock, so running out of excuses not to get this completed!

All of this was while drinking beer, and waiting for my homebrew to be ready. Here's the first glass of my home brewed beer:
2017-07-14 12.04.07.jpg

JW

Attachments

• 2017-07-28 22.46.28.jpg
    2017-07-28 22.46.28.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 26

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You guys need to put down your beers long enough to help me unload the ironworker I bought LOL.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Bought some parts bins to sort my fasteners. Starting to regret the idea:
469dd4968d64a08bbacf93b88983a7c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom O

Ultra Member
I was looking at those at princess auto, the top row seems quite tight trying to pull it out not a bad price though.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
ya know, jwest, I did the same thing on a previous sale... uh... well, I got half way! then all stink broke out, and now I have no organization.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Just number them all and have a ledger to keep track of what goes where that way you won't have to worry about using multiple drawers or mixing the contents.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I don't know how many label guns I have owned in my life for these type of cabinets.

What I learned is that, in the absence of girlie fingernails, the label tape that you can bend and split in two to separate the protective backing is worth every extra dime. I have lost many years off my life trying to peel protective backing off those silly things until I discovered split tape. I also learned to string expletives together to form swear words that are nastier than the sum of their parts.

Oh the memories.....

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks for the tips guys. Anyways successfully setup parts bins for bolts? I would love to see a picture.

@CalgaryPT I actually ordered one of them yesterday morning. The "embossing" type, right?

A ledge makes sense too!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I can't recall the brand of mine--maybe Dymo. Another thing I remember to do with these labellers is to cut some anti-slip Gator tape and put it around the sides. They always seem to slip from my hands and because they are not very durable, a shop floor shatters them.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Pretty sure that's the same one I just bought. Dymo.

Preemptive reinforcement. I like it.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
I've labeled the inside of the drawers with paint pen, it lasts longer but writing in reverse is a pain, also time consuming, after awhile I just know where what I want is located. all nuts and bolts sorted by size, one drawer for each you've got a lot more drawers than I've got and you mentioned sorting by cap style? Even if it's kinda sparse now but I'm sure it'll fill up quickly :D:rolleyes:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I've labeled the inside of the drawers with paint pen, it lasts longer but writing in reverse is a pain, also time consuming, after awhile I just know where what I want is located. all nuts and bolts sorted by size, one drawer for each you've got a lot more drawers than I've got and you mentioned sorting by cap style? Even if it's kinda sparse now but I'm sure it'll fill up quickly :D:rolleyes:
That's the truth, will fill up in no time.

I've been procrastinating the sort job, but pretty sure I'm getting started this weekend. Will snap some progress pics.

I'm thinking head head (bolt) get's it's own section, internal hex it's own section, then all screw heads in their own section (machine screws only)
--> No wood screws or nails or anything, and nuts and washers all close to their bolt counterpart.

Probably will end up with leftover drawers for set screws, lock nuts and other specialty stuff etc.

Guessing I'll use a whole label maker roll by the end of it, haha.

Anyone have a good chart that shows the full range of common fasteners?
--> Most charts I find have all the super niche uncommon stuff too...

JW

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Thought I snapped a pic but don't see it .. perhaps I miss clicked something so here is another attempt.

It's all in the colour:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 14

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Nice. That's awesome. I'm sure mine will look similar at the end of the day.

Working on it this afternoon and much of tomorrow. If anyone is looking for something to do tomorrow, we can hangout.

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I started by working against your storage just to realize that my tap and die set makes a perfect chart for thread sizes.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
So I ended up following the strategy of making spaces for each and every size I have in my tap and die set. (86 piece?)

This means everything I do have has a bin, so I can definitely get this all sorted.

I know many will be empty at the end of his project, so I plan to remove the labels from those and rearrange based on what I actually have used. Still working on the "freedom units" side, moving into metric shortly.

This is as tedious as I thought it would be, lol.

bbac254331832e2762ac116254335ceb.png