• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Annular cutters

Tool

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Looking to fill up my shopping cart at KBC to get free shipping. Can I hold an annular cutter in a 3/4 collet or do I need a Weldon holder?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
edit> @Darren said ER40 & my brain said 5C. Disregard prior post
Another consideration for the holder is I use my AC's in both mill & lathe. I know, more moola for R8 & MT3 to maximize your credit card heat.
btw a 0.75" bore Weldon holder is not the same as as 0.75" end mill holder

btw, I'm not usually an Accusize promotor but I have bought theirs & can't tell any difference to what was labelled as TMX with KBC at the time. I haven't checked prices recently but there was a decent spread.
They are even cheaper on AliExpress but metric. Sometimes Accusize lists on Amazon Prime & shipping is free. Sometimes the sets work out to less than individually but check the math. Also consider your project applications re length. I started out with 1" but had to buy a few 2" here & there. Maybe a 2" set would have been net cheaper.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, I would not use an r8, or 5c collet. I would only use Er collects. The flats take a lot of meat out of the shank. With an er40 collet they work great for punching multiple holes on brackets and stuff. 20221012_191711.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking to fill up my shopping cart at KBC to get free shipping. Can I hold an annular cutter in a 3/4 collet or do I need a Weldon holder?

I'm sure it will work fine but there are a few things to consider. The Weldon holder and the Weldon shank includes two set screws to stop the cutters from turning. They are certainly not essential for the small cutters, but the big ones might be another matter.

Also, I read someplace (no idea where - might even be on here) that the Weldon design has a slight offset on it to accomodate the slight shaft shift caused by the screws. If that shift is in the holder, its meaningless. If its in the cutters it might matter. I have never noticed the difference and use Weldon annular cutters all the time. But it's something to at least know about.

IMHO, the cost of a Weldon holder is not a showstopper.

I'm sure it will work fine but there are a few things to consider. The Weldon holder and the Weldon shank includes two set screws to stop the cutters from turning. They are certainly not essential for the small cutters, but the big ones might be another matter.

Also, I read someplace (no idea where - might even be on here) that the Weldon design has a slight offset on it to accomodate the slight shaft shift caused by the screws. If that shift is in the holder, its meaningless. If its in the cutters it might matter. I have never noticed the difference and use Weldon annular cutters all the time. But it's something to at least know about.

IMHO, the cost of a Weldon holder is not a showstopper.
The are also holders specifically for annular cutters as they have the locating pin for accurate drilling. Cheapest price seems to be Accusize. I have there components and cutters. Well worth the money.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
There are also 2 styles of annular cutter shank, one with 2 flats and one with 1 flat and 2 divots

The one with the 2 flats I wouldn't use in an er collet...a lot of those fingers aren't supported, I have used them i an r8 before though

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I just happen to be doing some mag drilling today so here's a pic of the type I use.

View attachment 28233

It goes deep enough in to the ER collet to fully engage all the fingers

Yea those are the ones I use as the other style doesn't work in my mag drill, in the mill I still use them in an r8, I just feel it grabs the cutter better, I buy enough of them as it is so i try my best not to break them, or dull them out with excessive runout