• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Alright, what is this doodad?

Ironman

Ultra Member
I got this in another pile of Starret stuff, and I know it is not a wall hanging. Have any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC05279.JPG
    DSC05279.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC05278.JPG
    DSC05278.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC05277.JPG
    DSC05277.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC05276.JPG
    DSC05276.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 40

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Looks sort of like a durometer tester, but without the right base. There is a starrett product number behind the needle. I can read NoX643 or NoX043. The last digit is hiding in the pictures you posted.

EDIT: Looks like is just No. 643, Starrett just calls it a depth gauge:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Dial depth gauges with measuring rods are positioned over holes and the graduated blade/scale is lowered until it contacts the bottom of the hole. They have a dial gauge fixed to the frame that displays the reading. Depth gauges with a single fixed rod or plunger are for short measuring ranges, and interchangeable rods are used for deeper holes and larger ranges. They are commonly used to determine depth-of-groove and feature measurements.

Perry

Ultra Member
Can also be used to evaluate aircraft fuselage skin damage. Length, Width, and Depth of damage. Then off to the books.

Edit: That bar code on the back looks familiar. I may know where this unit came from.

Last edited:

Ironman

Ultra Member
Looks sort of like a durometer tester, but without the right base. There is a starrett product number behind the needle. I can read NoX643 or NoX043. The last digit is hiding in the pictures you posted.

Can also be used to evaluate aircraft fuselage skin damage. Length, Width, and Depth of damage. Then off to the books.

Edit: That bar code on the back looks familiar. I may know where this unit came from.
It definitely is a depth gauge, seeing that post of Xyphota.
Where do you think it came from?