• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

95 king 12-36

Millwright1009

Was looking at a lathe today. It has seen better days. But the ways and stuff look good. I don’t think it has been used much but it has been abused in a way of operator error. The guy didn’t really know how to use it. It has a few problems. I believe there is inner gears stripped. Cross feed wouldn’t feed at all and longitudinal feed has partial stopping. Meaning there is a tooth or two missing.
Anyways he’s asking 1500 which I believe is over priced. I am going to price a few parts tomorrow just to see.
Any feedback on this would be great. Is this something to stay clear of? Used lathes in my area are few and far between.

Millwright1009

Pictures

Attachments

• EDE497D1-370D-4C03-970B-2418CDCCA16D.jpeg
    EDE497D1-370D-4C03-970B-2418CDCCA16D.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 59E11CAB-B519-488F-8F2D-141B0FC01584.jpeg
    59E11CAB-B519-488F-8F2D-141B0FC01584.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 35
  • AA9C9AD8-A2B3-48E5-B1CC-30F5DD44011B.jpeg
    AA9C9AD8-A2B3-48E5-B1CC-30F5DD44011B.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 34

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup. Broken gears is a non-starter. Literally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Where are you located? The machine looks rusted.... And is broken......

I know there are cleaner machines...

What size is your ideal machine?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
From one rock to another ;)
Initial reaction is that it is over priced.
How much of the machine does work?
Is the headstock okay?
Do the half nuts engage okay?
Is the QCGB okay?
It looks like a generic taiwan lathe so parts should be available. If you haven't looked yet, King may still have a manual and parts list for it, Busy Bee, Jet and Grizzly should have an equivalent machine as well.
I won't rush but if you're up to a project, try and determine exactly what is needed to restore the machine to full working condition. Projects to me are $500-$1000.
Best of luck.

Millwright1009

Where are you located? The machine looks rusted.... And is broken......

I know there are cleaner machines...

What size is your ideal machine?

Newfoundland.
I’ve been looking about a year now. Only 4 lathes have came up on the island. Only one was reasonable. I was suppose to go have a look with intentions on buying. It was a 13” south bend. But the seller changed his mind and kept it.
12-13” would be ideal. But I’d prefer a 14” just because it’s big enough that I doubt I’ll need to upgrade years down the road.

Millwright1009

From one rock to another ;)
Initial reaction is that it is over priced.
How much of the machine does work?
Is the headstock okay?
Do the half nuts engage okay?
Is the QCGB okay?
It looks like a generic taiwan lathe so parts should be available. If you haven't looked yet, King may still have a manual and parts list for it, Busy Bee, Jet and Grizzly should have an equivalent machine as well.
I won't rush but if you're up to a project, try and determine exactly what is needed to restore the machine to full working condition. Projects to me are $500-$1000.
Best of luck.
Priced a few parts earlier for the new 1236 king, and just for the 2 gears alone I’d be in a few hundred. But I mean once you start tearing into something you’ll always have surprises.
Head stock seemed fine. No excess bearing play or anything. And the half nut worked as it should. I tried two feed speeds and they worked. Sounded ok to me. There a few issues going on in the carriage for sure. The feed reversing lever was hard to engage as well but may just need to be cleaned up. The thing had old dirty hard grease on the headstock gears.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Well, that perhaps explains the rust, depending on how/where it was stored

Funny thing about supply and demand..... it does set the price .

Good luck either way, I like projects and wouldn’t be put off by the challenge ....

Keep us updated and post pics

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
Tough call. A flyer I have from a local King dealer prices a new KC1236ML @ $4999
What is your sweat equity worth 40-60 hrs. , parts replacements, etc. vs. the fair local market value of the unit after expense's/ refurbishing?
The condition of the bed ways would be the deciding factor for me.
Sea air might be good for your health ? but poison for unprotected machinery.

Millwright1009

I wiped some dirt off the ways and they looked good. That’s why I said it didn’t look like it was used much. Just abused. It’s in a shop but the guy is a welder/ fabricator. The lathe was exposed to all the grinding dust and shit that’s why I think it looks rusted.

terry_g

Ultra Member
Where are the gears that are missing teeth located? My similar Craftex lathe has brass shear pins in
the shaft that drives the gearbox in the saddle and a brass shear pin in the threaded shaft as well.
There should be an oil level in the saddle. Make sure there is oil in it. Look at the gears in the feed
transmission from the bottom with a mirror and a light.

Price out the parts to fix it and maybe make an offer. If parts are pricey maybe the seller will come down on the price.

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
That would do it. If the market is scarce for equipment you may have to wait for another while.
If your up for the project well there you go, it's ultimately your call.
Let us know how you decide.

Millwright1009

Where are the gears that are missing teeth located? My similar Craftex lathe has brass shear pins in
the shaft that drives the gearbox in the saddle and a brass shear pin in the threaded shaft as well.
There should be an oil level in the saddle. Make sure there is oil in it. Look at the gears in the feed
transmission from the bottom with a mirror and a light.

Price out the parts to fix it and maybe make an offer. If parts are pricey maybe the seller will come down on the price.
Thanks for that. I’ll look at the drawing and see if I can find a shear pin for the cross feed, as for the longitudinal feed there’s definitely a gearing issue in the carriage. Even when manually moving it there’s a spot where you can almost turn the wheel 3/4 of a turn. I don’t think I needed to look any further. If the lathe is still up next week maybe I’ll throw him a couple hundred bucks for an offer.

Millwright1009

The ad has been taken down. I guess somebody got suckered into it. Didn’t seem like it the guy was open to low offers. Anyways Ill find something sensible eventually.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The ad has been taken down. I guess somebody got suckered into it. Didn’t seem like it the guy was open to low offers. Anyways Ill find something sensible eventually.
I'd say you are lucky. Finding the right lathe sometimes takes a bit of time but the wrong one can often be found quickly.

Millwright1009

I'd say you are lucky. Finding the right lathe sometimes takes a bit of time but the wrong one can often be found quickly.
Yes your right .

I can find plenty in Ontario and places but the shipping is what gets me. Plus this covid makes it harder again.
I got quoted 3600 bucks from different companies to ship a lathe to me from Ontario.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
There are some folks here who are OTR drivers or have shipped machines across country.
Hopefully they will chime in with possible shipping options.