• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

7x12 Bandsaw variations

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I've ordered myself one of the zillion or so different variations of the Asian 7x12 bandsaws that are available out there. I haven't received it yet but I'm interested in hearing others experiences with any of them.
I did all my shopping online so it was a bit hard to make real judgements on some things.

It appears to me they are all very similar but not quite exact.

A few differences I've notices so far are: coolant tray / apron, motor sizes, wheels, handles, and position of the hydraulic down cylinder.

On some models the down cylinder in vertically mounted and on others (my "Kaka" version) it is more horizontally mounted.

Does anyone have an opinion on which is better...the vertically mounted or the horizontally mounted down cylinder?

Don

kylemp

Just because of the way they function I would think vertical would be best but maybe there's something I'm not getting.. but all the big saws use vertical cylinders afaik

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sharp eye but I cant think of a reason for different cylinder orientation either. Maybe if the heads were quite different (weight) or different stroke cylinder, but the saws seem to look generically quite similar. The control knob isn't a precision thing BTW, at least on mine, late 90's vintage. The knob has numbers but seems to be a liberal range between axe fall & stationary & not that linear a gradation.
This one looks similar to the Kaka?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x...561?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes that Grizzly one is very similar, the King Industrial is also very similar. The Kaka version doesn't seem to have as nice as a catch pan/ drip tray as most others. They need to have a bit of a cut out formed in the drip tray if they have the vertical mount cylinder.

Don

kylemp

I honestly would have to draw it out but I think that you may end up with more variation in the downfeed being in that orientation as the blade approaches the end of the cut. I'm not sure that's a real problem but that's all I can really think of.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I received my "Kaka" bandsaw. After I had ordered it I got scared of what I had done and wished I could have backed out! Ordering $1200 worth of Asian tooling sights unseen now didn't seem so smart.
However , I'm glad to report it all turned out well. The saw was well crated and came in perfect shape. It also seems to be setup perfectly. Fit and finish in it is better than any of my other Asian machines. It came with a 5/8 VP blade that seems pretty decent. The coolant catch pan/ tray underneath the saw could be quite a bit bigger and I expect I will eventually make some extensions on it. One other pleasant surprise was that the motor on it is a 1.5 hp! (13.9 amp I think). Well that's what the data plate on the motor says anyhow, I bet it's an exaggeration like most electric motors nowadays.
Here's one picture showing the saw cutting at its maximum width 12" channel iron.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_1356357~01.jpg
    IMG_20170429_1356357~01.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 21