• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2x48 belt grinder

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I've been plugging away at this for the last week or so, putting one of my cheap marketplace motors to good use. 2x48 because I built a 2x72 a while back (and sold it) and found it took up a bit to much space.

I have a few bits left to go, namely the work table, wiring in a switch, designing and 3d printing the adjustment knobs and cutting a board to bolt it to.

I'm planning on powder coating the frame, base, idler arm and the thing the 2" wheels bolt to, I haven't decided what color yet, I have a few left over colors to choose from. As for the rest of the pieces I plan to give hot bluing a go.....looks easy enough, maybe those will be famous last words

IMG_20220709_151821_678.jpg IMG_20220710_161330_603.jpg IMG_20220710_175645_226.jpg
IMG_20220716_163516_418.jpg IMG_20220716_161206_139.jpg
IMG_20220716_162403_420.jpg
IMG_20220716_163203_676.jpg IMG_20220716_163213_112.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Powder coating tonight, I decided "illusion purple" and "gloss black"

I am still going to blue the arms, platin and work table top, I will just cold blue everything, so as not to burn off the powder coating on the backside IMG_20220718_182606_481.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Nice work, is it your own design?

Thanks, yes, I looked through google images for some inspiration, and knew what I didn't want to do from the last one I built (2x72)...then spent a few evenings sketching up something I thought looked ok. Took a while to figure out how I wanted to do the tracking pivot...then I just winged it...seemed to work out ok

I'll try to get some time to assemble it all tomorrow evening and take some more pictures...will see how far I get

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice work...I wish there were a good way to capture the grit and dust from these grinders.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Nice work...I wish there were a good way to capture the grit and dust from these grinders.

I have a lot of dust in my garage in general (gravel back lane), My solution to the dust issue is just to cover everything, I have a bunch of those cheap movers blankets, and because I don't use everything every day I just leave stuff covered. It also has the benefit of hiding things from prying eyes. And bonus it keeps me from spending an hour every time I'm in there wiping things off...dust + coolant/oil...gross

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
How tall is the crown on your belt wheels?

i didnt make them, for 85$ on amazon it was hard to beat

however just for you i went and swept the tracking wheel with an indicator in the lathe....i had read 1-2 degrees, this tracking wheel is 2.162 inches wide with an approximate .05 crown....which works out to 1.08 degrees

i would assume the tracking and drive wheel have roughly the same crown