• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2D drawings are replaced by 3D models?

NGrimberg

I have heard the news that 2D illustrations are supplanted by 3D models? 2D is the best alternative to pick when you are confronting tight due date and outlines required are a solitary segment or a solitary part as essential geometries are anything but difficult to produce utilizing 2D CAD instruments.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey @NGrimberg

I've been learning a lot of CAD lately. I think you're totally right, the only thing that you may not realize though is that 3d models always start as a 2d drawings too. Really the benefits of 2D is something they both share in common. 3D just adds the extra dimension, but you can always reference the 2d sketches that need to exist in order for the 3d element to be created too.

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’ve used two drawing packages lately ( and not so lately ClarisCAD .. anyone? I liked that one) the first is sketchup and the second fusion360. In sketchup you do draw in 3D as you build your model - fusion is much more the 2D then make the context switch to 3D type of workflow. Sketchup is not all that great at machine parts and is more about architecture. Sketchup is though is fast and easy to use and I often use it first when working on something. I find I’m much more productive in sketchup and my skill level with fusion is much lower. I’ll post a couple pictures.

@NGrimberg what tools are you using? How do they compare?

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
The news that "2D illustrations are supplanted by 3D models" is so far above my head it is figuratively out of sight. I'm learning Fusion360 as my first ever CAD experience and it is quite challenging. I find going through each online lesson 4 to 8 times allows some of it to sink in. I hope some day that understanding that type of statement will be second nature. 17 more lessons and I reach the lessons for novices. I find these discussions encourage my need to learn.