• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2 lathes in AB

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1270898889935054
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/653851425528018

1st one is a 12x36 for 2500 with some tooling - Made in Taiwan. Can be a good deal if say price drops to 2000 & condition is OK.
2nd is what appears to be a bit worn craftsman for 1200 - could be a good deal for say 1000 if condition is better then what it appears to be - certainly should be better then mini lathe - but 1st one is definitely better deal / lathe.

Oh and this mill for 4k is a steal - from Stan Canada in Edmonton - if anyone wants a very good machine this is it -
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/724254181455777
They can deliver.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Yeah, the mills is a great deal. The Fagor DEO is a dream to work with.

The lathe is nearly an identical model for my 12X36, except it is very dirty. If mine is in great shape, should I ask for more than 2000???

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If in great shape, clean etc. you should ask for more then 2000 - it may not be a total steal but market value - or it may be a steal depending on how bad the competition lathe is. New machine at KMS is 5000 plus tax - so keeping that in mind and that new machine may be better then yours when new (only you know) price accordingly.

If presented nice and clean I would not hesitate to give it 2500. However, do not expect to sell within say 24h unless someone who knows you here on the forum gets it.

Machine prices seem to be all over the map - someone on the forum passed a 14x30 for 1500 (!) made in Spain and on auction I saw BB machine in 12x36 range or so go for more then new. I saw someone want 2500 for a blower and what appears to be scrap forge (!) Blowers on auction (manual) go for around 200. I know blacksmithing is hot but didn't think it reached temperature of the sun yet.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I saw someone pay 800 last month for a partial homemade log splitter (no pump or resovoir or valve). The parts retail were maybe 350

Online auctions are so rigged (imho) . Who in their right mind bids up items with two weeks remaining. Just fake bids to extract reserve prices

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Some auction items go for crazy high prices - others are next to free. Its all over the place. Yes, I saw many times auction items go for more then I bid on them and then they are *resold* at next auction! Buyer beware. Through most items go for far and wide less then stuff at kijiji or FB marketplace - this is where people go crazy with prices!

Everett

Super User
It's been a varied experience for me with buying machinery, tooling and shop gear, through classifieds, auctions, and even a business' private web page for the shaper. I've gotten some good bargains on some stuff like metal, bench grinder, etc. at auction but the auctions of late seem to be overpriced since the online bidding thing went crazy with the virus craziness. That being said, watching Kijiji (daily) and the auctions for three years now, I finally got a Bridgeport clone that was actually affordable to me that wasn't beaten to crap. Very thankful to have gotten it.

That being said, to see some of the machines that are advertised in some ways I can't blame people for trying to get a decent price for their equipment. At times it does seem like our region has less available for the demand that is there as compared to other areas like the Salt Belt or California, at least for stuff that can fit into a suburbanite's garage like mine. But when talking with people in places like Perth, Cape Town, and even Vietnam, I'm thankful that we do have what actually IS around here.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Congrats on your new mill @Everett!! You did some very good (perhaps extreme) work on that old one - I'm sure you will enjoy the freedom that the bigger mill gets you...

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Congrats on the new mill! Look forward to seeing it in upcoming videos. Glad you had the old mill though, showed me that they are quite capable for what I am wanting to do with a mill that size if one comes up near me in the future. Definitely do not have the room for a full sized bridgeport unless, I get rid of other tools.