• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2 Bridgeports in Toronto, $1500 each

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Wow, that is cheap. Did prices go down for equipment? What is going on? This is not the first ad like this. Next to nothing.

Scattered Parts

Mike
Premium Member
I have to admit that i have considered buying every mill on Kijiji from S.Ontario and bringing them back west for sale. But common sense prevails. Maybe when I’m visiting my daughter at university on Montreal I should rent a truck and trailer and drive back to SK with a load of mills.Hmmmm.

I have to admit that i have considered buying every mill on Kijiji from S.Ontario and bringing them back west for sale. But common sense prevails. Maybe when I’m visiting my daughter at university on Montreal I should rent a truck and trailer and drive back to SK with a load of mills.Hmmmm.

There's a number of resellers operating even in southern Ontario so a lot of competition for these machines. I ran into one once. He beat me to a mill by mere minutes and I probably had an earlier start because I had farther to travel. He had his own hiab truck so a big advantage with moving. You have to be quick to get the best deals.

When I got my latest lathe there were two of us who were the first to come by to view it. The seller had more people lined up to follow us in case we didn't buy. I got the lathe only because the other guy was more hesitant about moving it out of a basement and because I had cash in hand for a payment.

I imagine many of us have considered reselling machines as a sideline myself included. Personally I decided against it. I do not have the equipment or experience to move this kind of stuff nor the space to keep lots of it. Also I have found that even a minimum of restoration on an old machine can be a huge amount of work.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
There's a number of resellers operating even in southern Ontario so a lot of competition for these machines. I ran into one once. He beat me to a mill by mere minutes and I probably had an earlier start because I had farther to travel. He had his own hiab truck so a big advantage with moving. You have to be quick to get the best deals.

When I got my latest lathe there were two of us who were the first to come by to view it. The seller had more people lined up to follow us in case we didn't buy. I got the lathe only because the other guy was more hesitant about moving it out of a basement and because I had cash in hand for a payment.
That’s the way to do it though. If you show up in a car to save on gas, give them a half convincing story on a dubious return date, try to give them a bunch of 5’s and 10’s plus a roll of quarters as a deposit.....you’re not gonna get far

If you carry $500-ish, that should be enough to hold it until you can hit a bank. $500 cash down, bill of sale, go get more cash, come back load the item and leave. They don’t want a bill of sale for tax reasons? Have your own notepad or bill of sales book with you, they can throw it out if they don’t want it, but it’s a legally binding agreement once both parties have signed it. (not that most of us are gonna bother with small claims)

But the key is to close the deal and move the item into your possession. I’m not saying screw the guy and offer half what it’s worth to steal it. Once you have your hands on it nobody can come along and offer the seller more money than what you offered and snipe it. Many many times say if they’re asking $1000 for an item, you can offer $800 cash and they load it in the truck no fussing about. You want to make it easy for them

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Lots of great deals recently. But with price of gas today it would not be easy to make money. Remember it is few days drive to ON. You need local person to pay & see.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I believe the key is determining whether the seller is trying to get rid of the machine or make money from it. People who do this for a living ask a series of questions of the seller ahead of time to determine this. To the casual observer it is just smalltalk. But to the trained buyer the questions help set a offer price, a ceiling, and a buying strategy that makes them a profit. I once heard a "professional" say there is no middle ground—you can't as a seller have it both ways. So your job as a buyer is to figure out which one it is.

Kind of like Garage Sale MoneyBall I think.