• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

17K cnc

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
That machine has been on kijiji for at least a month. I clicked on it a few times but didnt see anything to get excited about.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I was wondering what you might think of that one @Alexander it looks clean and well maintained. Not horribly old. so what do you not like? Is Prodis a good brand? you could spend that on a Tormach... You could spend a lot more on a Haas or really anything else?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have never herd of that brand before. Then when i googled it not much came up. It does have a nice controller attached to it. But 17k is allot right now. The industry is really struggling. I bet someone could find you a nice Mazak, Hass, matsura, milltronics, syil, hurco, samsung or mitsubishi machine between 8k and 20k.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Its debatable though. I was just discussing this with someone and they figured this prodis was allot nicer than any Milltronics or Hass so now i dont know. Could be a great deal if parts are easy to get but if not it would be a terrible buy.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It all depends if you want it to run right away or if your hobby is rebuilding machines... From what I've seen, most CNC used machines are for sale for several not-so-good reasons 1) they are worn out 2) they're completely obsolete or broken and parts are unavailable 3) they're from a distressed company that hasn't maintained the machine properly.

There ARE good deals out there, but be prepared to walk away if something doesn't smell right.

kylemp

It all depends if you want it to run right away or if your hobby is rebuilding machines... From what I've seen, most CNC used machines are for sale for several not-so-good reasons 1) they are worn out 2) they're completely obsolete or broken and parts are unavailable 3) they're from a distressed company that hasn't maintained the machine properly.

There ARE good deals out there, but be prepared to walk away if something doesn't smell right.
As a general rule I'd say you better really know what you're looking at before you go buying a used cnc. I've bought a lot of machinery and I'm still VERY hesitant with cnc equipment since you miss one little detail and you've got a very expensive counterweight at best