• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

1095 Hunter

Crosche

Super User
Made this hunting / caping knife over the Christmas holidays while I was stuck in quarantine. The blade is 1095 and the handle is black micarta with red micarta liners and stainless steel pins.
The sheath was quite fun since I don't have a lot of experience in leather work.

Attachments

• 20210117_133229.jpg
    20210117_133229.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210117_133258.jpg
    20210117_133258.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210117_133327.jpg
    20210117_133327.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 17

Crosche

Super User
Nice. Maybe I asked already, do you do your own heat treating?

Yes, my technique is a bit crude for 1095 though since I simply use a magnet to test the steel.
My new forge will have a digital temperature display and at some point I am going to build a heat treating oven.

francist

Super User
That is remarkably fast. I think it would be more 8 — 10 days for me, and most of that would be fretting over the design. I toy with the notion of making a folder or two, or actually just a custom built box cutter for working, but it’s questionable whether I’ll ever get around to it. Nice hunter.

-frank

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Made this hunting / caping knife over the Christmas holidays while I was stuck in quarantine. The blade is 1095 and the handle is black micarta with red micarta liners and stainless steel pins.
The sheath was quite fun since I don't have a lot of experience in leather work.
Looks very nice. Good design of knofe and sheath.

Have you ever used those temperature stick crayons? I have used them in heat treating knifes and thought they provided some added precision over color judgement.