• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What's Paul up to?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I haven't reported my progress: I left this part sit fallow for a bit while working on a couple of others. Working up my nerve again, and thinking about @thestelster's one-cut technique and how to incorporate it intelligently in the order of operations. I'll come back to it.
Meanwhile, after a bit of swearing at my knurling tool:
1714163815702.png
And then mid-way through this little support arm:
1714163859078.png
The taper came out fine, though slightly off-center. I must have mis-aligned my hole centers fractionally, which might mean I wasn't fastidious enough setting up to drill them, or that I really do need a set of gauge pins.
Next will be to bore those out larger, one 3/8" clearance, and one for 1/2"x20tpi threads.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Ok, I got the pin "done enough". First step was the fat end:
1714168261045.png
I was worried about this, but I guess I shouldn't have. Trammed it in easily, and then it cut directly on radius.
Next was running @thestelster's procedure, for which I had a ton of extra stick-out to test diameter with. It was clear that this part is flimsy enough that a second pass wouldn't work.
But even after adjustment it still wound up 10 thou under sized. I don't think it will affect the application:
1714168422450.png
If I need to, I now have all the know-how to make it again.