• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Recycling scrap

Ironman

Ultra Member
I had an old rusty PTO slip joint that had become seized and I cut off the whole thing and welded a new one in. So this thing was under the welding table waiting for a second life. I want to have a lathe tap and die holder and I thought this would do it. I cut the U joint ears off and then put it in the press to push the male spline out. It took over 20 tons to move it. I dropped both parts into full strength HCL and after an hour the rust was gone.
I had a extra MT3 x JT 6 taper so I put it in the headstock and machined the JT6 taper into a 1/2" shaft for lineup to the male spline. Tapped the two together, checked for true and then welded and checked again, still in line.

Attachments

• Boring the male spline.JPG
    Boring the male spline.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Cleanup male spline after welding.JPG
    Cleanup male spline after welding.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 18
  • MT3 x JT6 adapter.JPG
    MT3 x JT6 adapter.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Ready to weld.JPG
    Ready to weld.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Ironman

Ultra Member
I had an old rusty PTO slip joint that had become seized and I cut off the whole thing and welded a new one in. So this thing was under the welding table waiting for a second life. I want to have a lathe tap and die holder and I thought this would do it. I cut the U joint ears off and then put it in the press to push the male spline out. It took over 20 tons to move it. I dropped both parts into full strength HCL and after an hour the rust was gone.
I had a extra MT3 x JT 6 taper si I put it in the headstock and machined the JT6 taper into a 1/2" shaft for lineup to the male spline. Tapped the two together, checked for true and then welded and checked again, still in line.
Next was to machine the rough casting of the female side. The designers made me a little register on the end, so I machined a die holder for a press fit into this and that is ready to weld. I then took a 3/8 drive extension and chopped of the end to fit into a die adapter to drive a tap chuck. Cause why reinvent the wheel?

Attachments

• Cleanup the female spline.JPG
    Cleanup the female spline.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Making a die holder.JPG
    Making a die holder.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Tap adapter and die holder.JPG
    Tap adapter and die holder.JPG
    504.9 KB · Views: 15

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I had an old rusty PTO slip joint that had become seized and I cut off the whole thing and welded a new one in. So this thing was under the welding table waiting for a second life.

Well done!

I love projects like that. Especially turning a piece of scrap into a beautiful useful tool!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Good project. Will you use it under power? I don't quite understand what keeps the taper from coming out of the tail stock as the threads are cut? Show pictures of the PTO joint halves? How much travel will it have?

Jswain

Joe
I would think the rotational force would hold it locked in to the MT? As long as the splines travel nice and smoothly

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nicely done Ironman!

I've been reorganizing a bunch of my toolboxes the past few nights, and was actually thinking about making a tailstock dieholder for my lathe for the various size dies i've collected over the years. You've given me an idea. Thanks. Another project for the list......

Now I'm wishing I would have saved the cv shafts out of the couple cars I scrapped last year. I was debating it, but was trying to come up with a use for them to justify the time required to strip them out, and drew a blank.....Damn.