• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Faceplate/lathe dog driver

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Since I have gotten my new lathe it didn't come with a faceplate and I was only able to turn between centers with the 3 jaw chuck and so I wanted something more appropriate so in my travels found this sliver 8 in offcut of aluminum and bought a d1-3 adapter from the amazons and I was ready to try my hand at making a faceplate. my original plan was to
add some t-slots but I am going to wait until I see a need for them and they can be added later.
IMG_5755.JPG

So into the 4 jaw it went faced it off and center drill.
IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG
Then I cut in the boss for the adapter, not my best work but acceptable.
IMG_5835.JPG
It came in a bit undersized on first fittings but ended up a hair big in the end. IMG_5833.JPG
Then off to the mill drilling got everything centered then a piece of cake drilling the holes with the dro
IMG_5838.JPG IMG_5840.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG
Now I was able to mount it on the adapter and now mounted on the lathe bored out for the dead center.
IMG_5842.JPG
IMG_5844.JPG
IMG_5847.JPG
Finish off the edge.
I forgot to take a picture of the milling of the slot but I used the 123 blocks and clamps to hold it down.
and success I now have a lathe dog driver and was able to make my own test bar which came out well about .0004 to .0006 difference so I am happy with my tailstock adjustment and ready for more turning between centers. IMG_5851.JPG
IMG_5852.JPG

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I never had much luck with the other style several dead soldiers so I bought one of this style and really liked it, I don't have a lot of large drill bits so the sooner I can bore the better, I ended up with 4 from 8mm up too 20mm which fits my boring bar holder perfect and I find them very rigid the smaller ones have one index and the bigger ones have 2 and even bigger 25mm+ have 3 cutting edges. IMG_5880.JPG
IMG_5878.JPG