• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

35 Years Isn't Old For An Engraving Machine, But...

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Latest project:

1988 Dahlgren System 300 computer engraver, converted in 1997 to the then-current Xenetech controller and software. Both companies now out of business, the Xenetech software runs in windows 95 or 98, and has a 16-bit ISA interface card that needs a 1998-vintage PC. The setup came with a very ill PC. I was able to resurrect Windows 98 and get it working, but no serial number for the controller software so I have one month to get it functional. After one month I'd have to scrub and re-install Windows.

Engraver uses a spring-return pneumatic cylinder for Z-axis, so needs a compressed air supply to operate.

So the decision was made to retire all the original computer system and install current stepper motors, a proper stepper motor Z-axis, and build a new controller running GRBL. Keeping the original spindle motor and speed control, 90 VDC variable speed at 20,000 RPM max. Uses 1/4" cutters, and it came with 30+ cutters from 0.010" to 0.125" diameter.

This thing is built like a tank. Baseplate is a 34"x34"x1/2" solid chunk of aluminum plate, 24" x 12" X-Y travel, Z quill travel 0.50" with 4.5" vertical adjustment. Without the controller it weighs about 100 lbs.

First step was to tear it all down and clean, next step will be to fabricate bracketry to add limit switches.

Leftover bits:
Xenetech stepper driver controller
Xenetech operator pendant
Windows 98 PC, Pentium 233, 64MB RAM, 6GB hard drive, DVD drive, 56K modem, 10/100 network card
Soundblaster Vibra 16 ISA card
Xenetech ISA controller card
Xenetech communication cables between PC and controller
Xenetech software on 3-1/2" floppies and CD-ROM

Anyone need any of this?

IMG_7086.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5914.JPG
    IMG_5914.JPG
    490.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3709.jpeg
    IMG_3709.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Did you pick that up off FB?
I gave it a look but lacking space and need I passed on it.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Did you pick that up off FB?
I gave it a look but lacking space and need I passed on it.
Yes, from Heritage Trophy in Duncan. I’d been looking at it for a while, and was in Victoria a couple of weeks ago so could justify picking it up. Nice people, they also have a much more sophisticated Newing Hall machine for sale but I don’t have room for both.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
all table wiring installed, just waiting for the junction box to arrive from Amazon. Yes, we all hate Amazon, but Bud JB-3544 6x4x3.5 junction box is $17.25 free delivery from Amazon, $49.20 from Home Depot. No stock at Lees Electronics, only $16.00 and two hours of city traffic to get there.

See the pile of 16mm 5-pin DIN connectors for table-to-controller wiring on the bench? Amazon $12 for five sets m x f, Lees is $22 for the same. I know it's unfair not to support Lees, but my budget doesn't allow for prices double of Amazon.

IMG_3728.jpeg IMG_3727.jpeg

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
First test run. Broke the first cutter, smacked the tip against the edge of the aluminum workpiece because I didn't set the Z height properly. Won't do that again. Depth of cut is .50 mm, not 0.050". I shouldn't mix measuring units.

Limit switches need some work, lots of electrical noise so likely need to add some optoisolators. But overall it's a success.

IMG_3746.jpeg IMG_3745.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3742.jpeg
    IMG_3742.jpeg
    622.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Arduino Nano, three DM542 stepper drivers, and the original spindle motor control.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Making a new arbor for the engraver, so I can use ER11 collets. Chunk of 316 stainless steel pipe, HSS tangential cutter, @jcdammeyer 's ELS lead screw on my BB B2227L lathe. Please keep in mind I'm a hack, my working career was making pipe fittings, and tolerances tended to be pretty sloppy and nobody gave a rats-behind about surface finishes. So getting to my target of 1.0005" O.D., and a decent finish was a big deal for me. Also managed to get a nice close-up of the 1/4" HSS cutter at 120 RPM, 0.001" doc, 0.005“ feed. Surface finish compared to 1/4" hex screwdriver bit.

IMG_3754.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Making a new arbor for the engraver, so I can use ER11 collets. Chunk of 316 stainless steel pipe, HSS tangential cutter, @jcdammeyer 's ELS lead screw on my BB B2227L lathe. Please keep in mind I'm a hack, my working career was making pipe fittings, and tolerances tended to be pretty sloppy and nobody gave a rats-behind about surface finishes. So getting to my target of 1.0005" O.D., and a decent finish was a big deal for me. Also managed to get a nice close-up of the 1/4" HSS cutter at 120 RPM, 0.001" doc, 0.005' feed. Surface finish compared to 1/4" hex screwdriver bit.

View attachment 45071
You did better than me. My HRS did not finish very smoothly. Then I got carried away with the file a bit so it's not totally parallel. I'll post my little video later after we get home.